Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9lb pork tenderloin

Options
sawdustdrew
sawdustdrew Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a beautiful giant tenderloin I'd like to smoke saturday slow and low and would love to have some favorite recipes/tips to help me along.

Thanks.

sawdustdrew

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    hmmmm, I don't think so...maybe a loin, not a tenderloin. Check the dizzy pig website, they've got a how-to on loin over there, I think.
  • Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I agree with ben - probably a loin.

Call me old fashioned, I simply rub it up, cook indirect with dome 225-250, add in some hickory or mesquite chucks and pull when it hits 140ish.

Here is 40lbs on the XL.

100_4213.jpg

The other white meat.

100_4215.jpg
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is very lean. Therefore, it may not have as much flavor as a butt. In order to get more flavor, I have used a brine of salt, brown sugar, black pepper, and whatever other spices looked like they might go with the pork. I brined overnight then took the meat out of the fridge, rinsed, patted dry, and then applied my rub. Before placing on the smoker, I put two strips of bacon on each of the tenderloin halves (had to cut in half because the whole loin was too long to fit).

I then smoked using apple wood chuncks. I pulled at about 140 and let rest a while. The bacon will be pretty nasty looking, so toss it. It did its job by rendering fat into the loin.

This method takes a bit of planning due to the time in the brine, but it is a good way to make a nice smoked pork loin.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    That would still be a BIG loin.

Mark
  • that is one huge tenderloin. sure it's not just a loin? ;)

probably not the best cut for low and slow. treat it like a roast. there are a million ways, but i like simple seasoning or rub, cooked at semi-higher temps say 375-400 til 135, and let it coast to maybe 145-150 n the counter resting
  • well. i stand corrected about low and slow. i prefer the crispy fat and a little crust, but that looks good too
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Did we already welcome you to the forum? I don't remember. ;) Tim
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    just a thought for you... low/slow has two benefits 1) impart a smoke flavor 2) break down tough meat

since a tenderloin has very little fat and cooking too long makes it tough, you may want to think through how low and how slow....

as the earlier posts have stated - getting the flavors should be your main goal... I've started many of these cooks with a refrigerator cold piece of meat, lower temps, and smoke for 45 mins to an hour. Then stepped up the cook aggressively to get outside brown and crisp while keeping center temp at/below 140......
    Kent Madison MS
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    sawdustdrew,

That must have been a pretty big hog.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sawdustdrew
    Options
    You guys were right it was a pork loin. Thanks for all of the feedback. You guys have a preferred rub concoction you make at home? And thanks for the welcome. I'm psyched to be here.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I sometimes make my own rubs but usually use commercial or blends that friends make. I do all my pork at 250* now, except for tenderloins. Pull at 140* internal and rest.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I don't disagree with you about the crispy. A lot of times when I am cooking a smaller peice of loin, I will smoke it until about 125, then move to a higher temp direct cook to get some char on the outside.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I like Dizzy Pig's assortment of flavors which he can deliver in a few days. If you need something available locally, try Emeril's Essence it is a slightly spicy BBQ rub. Not excessively hot, but a little bite.
  • UKMatt
    UKMatt Posts: 113
    Options
    sawdustdrew wrote:
    You guys were right it was a pork loin. Thanks for all of the feedback. You guys have a preferred rub concoction you make at home? And thanks for the welcome. I'm psyched to be here.

It really depends on the type of meal you're looking for.

We really like to do a direct cook on a loin as follows:

- we brine it for a couple of hours in a brine of plenty of salt, black pepper, a few pinches of sugar and a couple of whole garlic cloves.
    - then we rinse, dry thoroughly and then rub with a paste of mustard, garlic, thyme, rosemary, lemon zest and anchovy paste (this gives a savory component - there is no fishy taste)
    - then grill direct until inside temp is 135 to 140.
    - Take off, rest for 10 or 15 minutes.

This yields a delicious savory pork roast which is great as leftovers sliced thinly on a sandwich.

HTH
    UKMatt