Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Steak Recipe

Options
sawdustdrew
sawdustdrew Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Just got my grill this week so I've been trying out the recipes that come with the Egg. Last night was the perfect steak recipe which called for, among other things, 1/4 cup of salt in the rub. That seemed like a lot to me but I went ahead with it and I ended up with the saltiest steak i've ever had. The steak itself had a great doneness (medium).

Any idea why so much salt and did i do it wrong? I used kosher salt as required.

Thanks.

sawdustdrew

Comments

• Iowa State Egger
    Options
    I had that problem too, and I think it is purely what your taste is. I substitue salt with garlic salt and rub in the meat, the hit it with a DP raising the steaks or montreal. Good stuff.

RawandRubbed.jpg
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    I don't know how many times over the years I followed recipes to the T when my gut would be telling me that "that's too much or too little of something" and the recipe turned out badly....AND like I expected. Learn to trust your instincts. Using your example, if a 1/4 cup of salt sounds like too much to you, it probably is too much for YOU. Understand? ;)
  • I am new also and I used the same recipe and it was a little salty. Problem I had was major flare ups. Not sure why that happened. When I opened the egg, my steak was on fire. I searched the forums and I think I decided that I needed to trim the steaks a little more. The steaks looked about like the picture in the response to your thread. Any ideas on why the flare up would happen with the dome closed? Before I opened the top, I looked through the daisy wheel(which was open all the way to get temp to 650) and I could see the meat on fire. I also burped the egg before I opened it. My chicken did not flare up, but the two times I have cooked steaks with this recipe, I had flare ups. Any thoughts on why this happens. Thanks in advance.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Ribeyes by any chance? High fat content and will flare a little. At 650, how long are you cooking per side? Total cooking time depends on the thickness of the cut ofcourse, but you should only be searing for a minute or two maximum per side.

Mark
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    Follow the Trex method from the Naked Whiz site:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

The article is full of pomp and pageantry, but once you cut that out and follow the methodology you end up with an excellent steak (and that is one that is less cooked than medium!).

I use Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks rub and mesquite wood chips (chips - not chunks- as mesquite chunks are near impossible to find here in the frozen north). I wouldn't have a steak any other way.

If you follow that method you'll never appreciate a steakhouse steak as much as you have in the past because they just don't match up without the rub and the mesquite smoke.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    You are going to get flameups with just about anything at high temps, but that's what you want for steak. I sear the the thick ones dome open for about 90 secs per side at 750+. Rest, bring down the temp to 400-450 and finish til done- per the T-Rex method.

BGEsteakscallops7-27-09001-1.jpg
    BGEribeye-scallops7-19-09003-1.jpg
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Dayum, you could play checkers on that steak. :woohoo:
  • Thanks for the help. I seared them for about 2 minutes per side. Once I got egg to 650, I put steak on and closed the lid for 2 minutes. Flipped and then another 2 minutes. Flipped and shut off egg and let roast for about 3-5 minutes. After I shut egg off(closed the door and daisy wheel), no flare ups. It was just during the searing, but the meat actually caught fire. I dont think a little flame would hurt, but when the steak starts to look like the fuel, you have a small problem. Ha Ha, I am still learning, but I am having a ball. Any other thoughts, i am all ears. Thanks again in advance.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I have empty spice jars from a cheap spice rack my wife got as a housewarming gift. I fill half of the bottle up with kosher salt, and half up with freshly (coursely) ground black pepper. I only reason my steaks with that mixture and they are to die for. I have gotten to the point where I s&p everything from that bottle (I have like 3 bottles elsewhere in the kitchen!)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    JB, that is one FINE lookin' steak!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hard to ask for any better a sear than that. Day yum!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :woohoo: great shot! If I had some money I'd show you that :whistle:
  • wspwooks1
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Drew! I know that you will be more than thrilled with your purchase. Good luck tomorrow with your loin cook. Hopefully it will turn out better than your steak.

Glad I convinced you to get the Egg. As you know, I am ecstatic with mine!! Nashville representing!!! Looking forward to many shared cooks between our two houses.

Congrats buddy.

LOOSE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options