Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock first time

KMO_QKMO_Q Posts: 150
edited 7:43PM in EggHead Forum
First time doing the spatchcock chicken...following naked whiz's recipe...350*F direct raised for one hour...didn't get a shot of the final results, because it was devoured before I even thought about it..thanks again to the forum

simple cut of the backbone
DSCN0369.jpg

before it hit the BGE
DSCN0370.jpg
·

Comments

• Cool Beans Kev - those flat chicken thingys are good. My entire family loves it when I cook a FCT. It will become a hit with your family too.

LJ
    ·
  • KMO_QKMO_Q Posts: 150
    LJ, I like "FCT" much better that Spatchcock...the family is alreay asking for a reprise...next time I'll marinate for a while longer, but will definitely be one of our family favorites..
    ·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Good looking chicken my friend. You can play around with those temps all you want. I actualy have never had much luck getting one done in an hour at 350. I most of the time go 400. I have actualy went up to 500 before with great success also. Enjoy!
    ·
    It was done and tender...I never opened the BGE to look...it did drift to 400*F for a while but that was it...looking forward to the next time..thanks
    ·
  • I really need to make this my next cook.
    ·
  • Kevin next time you make one please let me know, it will take me about 40 minutes to get to your place, so email me 20 minutes after you put it on. I will bring the old style tallboys
    ·
    That sounds like a good plan :) ...Have you attended any of the fests? I'm looking to get at least one on my calendar for the year...
    ·
    Very easy...just follow Naked Whiz's details and you can't go wrong...
    ·
  • Sounds like it was good! If you don't have one yet, I would highly recommend a thermapen or remote thermometer. Cooking to temp (in this case 165F in the breast) will give you the most consistent and delicious results as cooking time can vary based on temp, chicken weight, etc...

Spatchcock Chicken is one of our absolute favorites and I plan to cook a couple of them Saturday night.
    ·
    I presently use just a simple gauge meat thermometer, which requires that I open the BGE and insert in the breast...I'm looking to get a digital read like a Polder
    ·
  • I have one with a remote display and temp alarm that works great amid the distractions of cooking with 3 kids. :laugh:
    ·