Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About the Newer mini hinge and question/BBQ Guru

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had purchased the new hinge for my Miss Mini awhile back and finally got around to putting it on.[p]Well, it's just a tad too large, called BGE and he said I must have an older model. Mine was purchased about 3 1/2 to 4 years ago. They are sending me some gasket felt to see if I can shim it up. Just thought I would the forum members know in case anyone else runs into this.[p]BBQ Guru,
For those that have it, how far are you leaving your daisy wheel vents open???[p]Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Ohio Ed
    Ohio Ed Posts: 33
    Options
    New Bob,
    I'm no BBQ Guru expert but I run mine about half closed on the top. I had to dig on their web site to find this much.
    Ed

• Bordello
    Options
    Ohio Ed,
    Thanks, I wanted to get a feel for what the rest of you are doing. Appreciate the reply.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I got the new hinge for my mini last year and am very happy with it! It does make it a good bit easier to use![p]Don't know squat about the Guru![p]Smokey
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Smokey, I haven't been on this site for quite a while. Could you tell me about your new hinge and where you got it? Also, any other products available for the mini? Thanks--Angie2B

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    New Bob,
    I have 2 mini eggs....One old and one new....When I put the new hinges on them I had to put gasket materal on the old one...They both work great....I also got the new dual function tops for them.
    Larry

[ul][li]New Hinge[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Angie2B,[p]I benefit from living in Atlanta and I got the hinge at the BGE store. I have several accessories for the mini, including some fire brick (that I had cut in half to fit), a 8 inch pizza stone, a 8 inch drip pan and a set of MickyT's Temp rings. They also make a daisy wheel for the mini, but I done have one ... yet. I've tried cooking almost everything on the mini including low and slow (but use the large for that most of the time).[p]The mini is great for cooking steaks and chicken breast or just something for myself, but it is small. May be I need a small too![p]Smokey
  • Bordello
    Options
    YB,
    Glad to hear the gasket material worked. I won't get mine till next week and then will get her up and smokin.[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Angie2B,
    I see Smokey has replied but may I add to his post?[p]Hope you don't mind if I hop in here. I ordered from BGE headquarters in Alanta the stainless steel vent, new dual function daisy wheel top and the hinge that is supposed to open further then the original.[p]If your mini is an older version you will have to shim the outside of the egg with gasket material to make the hinge tight, I guess the newer mini's are a little bigger in diameter.[p]They also have a new metal fire grate that the lump sits on. That is a warranty item, no charge and no shipping as it was thrown in with the other things I ordered. (I'm in AZ. so I have to have everything shipped to me)[p]Hope that helps, contact BGE as not all parts are listed in their catalog.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    New Bob,
    adjust open to prevent smoke comming thru the gasket.

• Angie2B
    Options
    New Bob, Thanks a lot. Wow! I need to check in here more often. I had no idea these new things were available for my mini. Yippee...Christmas in April. :)

• Angie2B
    Options
    Smokey,
    Where did you find your drip pan and pizza stone? This is just too cool. I really need to check in with you all more often. I am calling BGE in Atlanta Monday. Yeah!

• Angie2B
    Options
    New Bob, Also, is there a way to check to see if I have the older or newer version? Thanks so much.--Angie

• Bordello
    Options
    Angie2B,
    I'm sure BGE could tell you. I have the old band off of my mini so I put a piece of string around her where the band would be and I got (as close as I can measure) 36"[p]My new band is very close but won't work without shimming it.
    Sorry I could not be of more help.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    jwitheld,
    Another good tip, I did notice if it that happening, that's what promted my question. [p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• MerlinEgger
    Options
    jwitheld,
    If you are getting a lot of smoke around your gasket area, you may not be getting a good seal which will interfere with your guru on low and slows. I noticed this and had to adjust my top band. The store where I bought mine was sloppy on lining it up and it wasn't seating level with the bottom. i generally leave mine about 1/3 open and haven't noticed any smoke out the gasket.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    the adjustment of the vent is needed because the guru's fan causes a positive pressure inside the grill unless a path is provided for that air to get out.
    what will happen is the hot gas escaping thru the gasket will cause early failure of the gasket.
    as for the fit on my grill its 25+ years old and ive replaced the gasket twice. i think this is because i adjust the botton vent mostly untill im at temp then adjust the upper to relieve backpressure.
    Originally i was taught that the adjustable top wasnt needed.