Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skinless/bone-in chicken breast?

Options
egger66
egger66 Posts: 385
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife brought home a pack of skinless/bone-in chicken breasts this evening. I rubbed it with olive oil and applied a rub. Cooked at 275*(trying for a smoked chicken) to an internal temp of 160*. The flavor was good but it was very dry.
Any suggestions on how to cook the rest of the pack without having these results?
Thanks

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Did you do them on the grid? Direct or indirect? You'll have much better results indirect. Marinating also adds lot's of moisture. You have no fat to keep them moist, you have to supplement. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Molly,

Like wrappin' them in bacon? ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That too. B)
    You know me. I'll take the calories in liquid. :laugh: :silly: B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • egger66
    egger66 Posts: 385
    Options
    I cooked them indirect, but did not marinate them. I'll try that next time, thanks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Actually those make one of our most favorite sandwich meals! I marinate them in Zesty Italian Salad dressing for at least 4 hours though 6 is even better. Hit with a favorite rub and egg direct at about 400° dome for 4/4/1 which will get you to about 160 internal. During that last 1 minute I place half a slice of Muenster and half a slice of Havarti cheese on to melt. Serve them on a sliced butter croissant with mayo and lettuce and you have a terrific sandwich!
    IMG_0234-1.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Try cooking them a little hotter, say 350-375.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    I agree that the 275 temp is causing some of the dryness. I only cook chicken at that temp when there is skin on it to keep it moist. With no skin, it dries out unless you cook it hotter and faster. I'd go 350 or higher, maybe 400.
  • AlwaysGolf
    Options
    I would cook at 375-400. I do mine at 375-400, raised grid direct. Was told at my first EggFest that lean meats with no fat should be cooked hot and fast, so that is how I cook my pork tenderloins and boneless skinless chicken breasts. HTH!!
  • Cheesegghead
    Options
    I agree, hot and direct is the way to go with meat that lean. IMHO, the egg is about the only way to cook skinless chicken breast to done temp and still have it moist. Keep the temp probe in one and make sure to pull them as soon as they reach target temp, any beyond and they'll be dry as a popcorn fart!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    I pound them out to a more even thickness (they don't have to be pounded THIN, just so there isn't a thick end and a thin end), and then cook them over relatively high heat, 400ish sounds about right, until they are just barely done internally.

IMG_0785.jpg
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    ;) a lite brine helps, too.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    I'd just debone them myself and use them for whatever sounds good. Stir fry...whatever. You could do tandoori as it's traditionally cooked without skin but bone in but I personally don;t like breast meat for tandoori.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle