Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket & Butts @ the same time

Options
Blaze
Blaze Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I need some help on this one as I am certainly no expert when it comes to brisket. I picked up 3 select packers for .90/lb last night and decided I would like to cook one this weekend. I've already got plans on cooking a couple of butts so I need to know if I can put ALL of this on the egg and come out with decent results, I'm not worried about the butts just the brisket.[p]This is my plan of attack: platesetter, drip pan, main grid, brisket (fat side up), raised grid, butts on top. Will I be taking a chance of ruining the brisket? Also, the brisket takes on smoke pretty quick is the hickory going to be to much and if I mix it with mesquite will that give my Q a funky taste?[p]Decisions, decisions, I believe I may have found out why I will NEED the XL BGE to go with my Large & Small.[p]Thanks[p]Blaze

Comments

• MerlinEgger
    Options
    Blaze,
    I did one of these recently with about the same setup as you. All of it cooked just fine. I injected the brisket with Cajun garlic butter marinade. I would score the fatcap on the brisket in a cross hatch pattern to aid in rendering and also if you marinade or put on rub, it will allow the flavor to penetrate better. I use a BBQ guru which makes these cooks pretty painless. It took about 20 hours to complete mine. On my cook, I put several large hickory chunks in various places around the grill so I would get smoke several times. It tasted great. Can't comment on the mesquite. One thing to check for though with all this stuff on the egg. The top may not close. Don't assume it is the lid hitting. It may be your thermo. If it is, you can shorten the stem length by putting it through a cork on the outside of the egg to adjust it to a length inside that will work for you.I don't think you'll be disappointed with the results as long as you take some time building a proper fire. I'd recommend starting a fire in a chimney and then spread it over the remaining coals. If you light one in the center only, it may doughtnut on you and go out. It did on me once. Best of luck.
    BTW - I don't mean to come across as an expert. I'm basically just passing along what I've learned on this forum along with a little of my experience. I couldn't spell egger six months ago, and now I are one.

• Blaze, I just did what your planning last weekend. I believe it was same as your plan...platsetter upside down with drip pan on it and reg grid on that with the brisket, raised grid and 20 lb ham on it. 225 to 250 for 18 hrs and all was well. I don't plan on mixing anymore though, cause I could taste the pork on the brisket and I don't like the idea of the same rub on both, (if you don't use the same it will make the taste on the brisket seem even more porky). It might be worth mentioning that I took out the brisket at the end before doing a glaze on the pork and still didn't like the flavor the briket took on. What I do plan on doing in the future to make maximum use of my 18+ hrs of cooking and time & trouble is cook a huge pulled beef pot roast on top. Have you ever tried a long lo n slo on your small? I haven't on mine and it is because I don't think I can do it on mine probably just because the band is not on good.

• Blaze
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Good idea on scoring the fatcap, I will be experimenting with a mix of Cow Lick and Turbinando Sugar to rub down the brisket( mucho kudos to the guys at DP for a very informative website)[p]Did your Butts cook much quicker than the brisket being in the top part of the dome? I will be using to thermometers so we'll see.[p]Blaze
  • Blaze
    Options
    Chet,[p]The taste of the pork on the brisket was what I was somewhat concerned about. I will be using a different rub on the butts than I will be using on the brisket. I have not tried a low-n-slow on the small YET but it's coming for a really small butt that I've got in the freezer. [p]Later [p]Blaze
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    bigcook.jpg
    <p />Blaze,[p]I have done this cook several times using the setup you mention. I have been very happy with the end results and will do more cooks this way in the future.[p]I haven't experienced the same problem Chet has with porky brisket so far. My briskets have a pretty healthy fat cap on them so it may protect it some. Good luck with your cook.[p]The BGE on the right is 2-8lb butts and a 15 lb brisket about 10 hours into a 20 plus hour cook.[p]Chuck[p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Chuck,[p]That's beautiful.

• Blaze
    Options
    Chuck,[p]MUCHO GRACIAS for the pics, that's exactly what I had in mind. It's nice to get a visual. Did your brisket overlap your drip pan a little?[p]Thanks again,[p]Blaze
  • Chuck
    Options
    bnb.jpg
    <p />Blaze,[p]It did overlap at the beginning of the cook but after some shrinkage it fit over it. I cover my plate setter with foil so it doesn't get gunked up from the drippings of the overhang.[p]Chuck

• Chuck
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Thanks man, see ya at Eggfest!!![p]Chuck

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Blaze,
    Kind of new to this, but I did use Dr Daves double smoked ham recipe and I used mesquite. Maybe I used to much, 3 chunks, but it took on way more smoke than I cared for.

• Blaze
    Options
    EGGOR,[p]Thanks for the info. The taste you describe may have been the effect of using mesquite on your ham (pork). The mesquite probably had a bitter taste on top of the hickory. I personally prefer mesquite on beef only I can handle it on pork VERY lightly.[p]Have a good weekend, I'll try and post the results of my cook on Monday.[p]Later [p]Blaze
  • MerlinEgger
    Options
    Blaze,
    Yes - but only by about an hour. The butts and brisket all weighed about 9#.