Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature

Big Jim
Big Jim Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please help me, I have tried and can not get the temp above 500. Even then it takes about 15 min. I am new to the egg and may be doing something wrong. Also, should I get the temp up high before dropping the temp when smoking ie: high then bring it down??

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    bigjim,
    With freshly loaded lump you should have no problem getting the egg up to 750* (or more) by keeping the bottom vent wide open and not using a cap or daisy wheel on the top. I have read that in humid environments (or if/when the lump has become wet) the egg can be tempermental when coming up to higher temps.
    Also, from gathering tips here, I try to not over shoot my desired cook temp because it takes longer for the egg to coll than it does coming up to temp. So when you get within 30-50* of your desired cook temp start adjusting the bottom vent and top vent. Others have said ( and I agree) that the bottom will get you into the desired temp range, but the daisy wheel really gets you dialed in on a specific temp.
    A while ago there was a post that outlined the temp range as it related to the size of the opening in the bottom vent. I' not sure who posted it - maybe someone can step up and help out here???
    Good Luck and enjoy you new found love!!! Joe

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    bigjim,
    Probably the most common reason is not using enough lump. How much charcoal are you using?[p]As far smoking temps, it is best not to get the cooker too hot, but it does pay to have a healthy clean burning fire. I often will get a small hot fire going first, then spread the coals out and add more charcoal for a low/slow cook. But the actual cooker never gets real hot. [p]Hope it helps a little. Good luck!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    well, look who's up this fine sunny morning. ...i didn't think you got up this early. ..get your taxes all done??[p]happy friday. . .

• bigjim,
    on top of what the other guys said, make sure the whole in your firebox is lined up with the lower vent. .. pretty common mistake with new owners. . .and definitely don't believe the book where it says you only need a couple of handfuls of lump. .. i fill my egg up at least to the top of the firebox every time, whether i'm doing a ten minute cook or a ten hour cook (for real long lo and slows or roasting something like a big prime rib or turkey, i'll go about halfway up the fire ring). . .[p]good luck[p]max

• Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    bigjim,[p]Also, if the firebox grate is inserted upside down, the conical holes will clog preventing air flow. I finally figured that out after 3 or 4 cooks when the temperature would struggle.

• Nature Boy
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    When you have twin girls, you are always up early. I haven't looked at taxes for 15 years since I got married. And yep....the missuz had them done long ago!
    Happy friday right back atchya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    i always say the last time i got a really good night's sleep was the night before my daughter was born. . . .but, its better to have them getting you up early, than a few years from now when you'll be waiting up late for them to come home. . . .i chuckle every time i think of those two sweet little twins of yours becoming teenagers in a few years . . .and lucky for you you have your own built in business manager to keep you straight!!

• Nature Boy
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I've already had a talk with Jenna and Kara. We have an agreement there will be NO problems when they are teenagers. So I will not be needing any more of your expert advice (warnings?) on what to expect....thank you very much though. :->))
    Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm not a father and I don't know what your Second Amendment views are. But I've heard from friends who have teenage daughters that it's wise to be a gun owner. You daughters' dates might think twice about what he wants to do if he sees you cleaning your guns in the living room. :-)
  • BluesnBBQ,
    that and when you meet the boy you smile and shake hands and say "i'm not afraid to go back to prison" . .. .