Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large cover question

Abe Froman
Abe Froman Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up my new large yesterday, and have another question.

Does a standard 22" weber cover fit a large bge w/no egg mates? the cover costs half of a bge model and is waaaay sturdier. Plus its stealth!

So far, I am pleased w/my purchase, materials and construction look great! Only hope a large is big enough and I don't regret not getting an xl.

Anyway, thanks for answering all of my
Questions everyone!

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Mr Food, I don't know about the cover. My large egg is in a table under a carport.

I may get another egg someday and when I do I plan on a second large. How are you doing have you cooked anything yet? Tell us everything. What did you do...
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Mr Food,

My large is almost 28" from the back of the hinge to the front of the handle.

Not so sure this other cover is any better than the BGE one. I pulled that thing off everyday last year in January. Temps averaged probably 4.675* for the month. If a cover can be handle being handled at 20 below, it's of top quality. ;)

I also have too much respect for my eggs to put a Webber cover on it. :P
  • I agree with Adam:

I also have too much respect for my eggs to put a Webber cover on it.

I don't even want to buy the Weber grillin accessories.
  • Well, due to my job, I haven't even got it fully assembled yet. I work snow shifts and last night we had freezing rain. I did assemble the nest this morning. I locktited the bolts even. I am impressed w/the quality thus far.

As far as desicrating the bge w/a weber cover, well, I checked the money tree in my yard, and it stopped growing.
    So yes, saving 30 bucks,is stll important to some of us. At least it is to me.
  • Well, due to my job, I haven't even got it fully assembled yet. I work snow shifts and last night we had freezing rain. I did assemble the nest this morning. I locktited the bolts even. I am impressed w/the quality thus far.

As far as desicrating the bge w/a weber cover, well, I checked the money tree in my yard, and it stopped growing.
    So yes, saving 30 bucks,is stll important to some of us. At least it is to me.
  • If you need more space, you can get extenders and such. The forum seems to like the adjustable rig set up available at www.ceramicgrillstore.com. I just purchase the oval set up. It should almost double the amount of grilling space I have. that should be enough to cook 4 - 6 racks of ribs.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I got this one for Christmas and it seems well made. I have a VERY old Weber cover that got so stiff and cracked that it became unusable. This new one is made of coated nylon or some such. Water beads up on it, it's very flexible and fits like a glove. Of course, you can't put it on when the egg is still hot and since I usually wind up cooking much too late in the day, it doesn't get "installed" until the next morning. If I remember.

Anyway, it's this one...

4293597063_693d5feaf7_o.jpg

and it's only $25.

http://www.the-cover-store.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CSP06113KH2

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I don't use no stinkin cover. ;):)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That's basically what I said. :lol::lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    It might deter thieves. Might have some merit after all.
  • Carolina Q wrote:
    I got this one for Christmas and it seems well made. I have a VERY old Weber cover that got so stiff and cracked that it became unusable. This new one is made of coated nylon or some such. Water beads up on it, it's very flexible and fits like a glove. Of course, you can't put it on when the egg is still hot and since I usually wind up cooking much too late in the day, it doesn't get "installed" until the next morning. If I remember.

Anyway, it's this one...

and it's only $25.

Thanks, this is helpful. I just put the beast together. All went well, but a nut in the wooden handle spins. Ill have to figure out a way to tighten it w/out messing up the wood.
  • Carolina Q wrote:

Anyway, it's this one...

and it's only $25.

Thanks, this is helpful. I just put the beast together. All went well, but a nut in the wooden handle spins. Ill have to figure out a way to tighten it w/out messing up the wood.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Who cares if it says Weber, its just a cover. I say more power to you if you want to save a little cash. Buy it then return it if it doesnt fit.
  • Hey Adam, my son and his wife live in New Brighton which is part of Mpls. He says it to much snow there to cook this time of year. What say ye?