Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomato soup recipe

Options
vidalia1
vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For some reason I can't get my tomato soup recipe up on the "Latest Recipes" board...so I am putting it here. If someone wants to move it over that would be appreciated...but for now:

Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup

Ingredients

2 lbs Roma tomatoes
3 cloves garlic
2 medium onions
2 med carrots (chopped)
1 stalk celery (chopped)
1 8oz can tomato paste
1 6oz can tomato paste
2 cans low sodium chicken broth
½ cup white wine
1/2 cup milk
½ cup whipping cream
1 tbls chopped fresh basil
Pinch of thyme
Pinch of oregano
Pinch of cumin
½ tsp sugar
1 tbls Olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
½ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese (save for topping of soup when served)

Directions

Set BGE up indirect with platesetter for 275-300 degrees. Place tomatoes on grid. Cut the onion into halves and brush with olive oil & sea salt, remove skin from garlic cloves and brush all with olive oil & sea salt.. Place all in the BGE on the grate or in a pan with holes for good air circulation. Bake at 275-300 degrees in the BGE for about 30-60 minutes. Cook them until the tomato skins start to wilt and brown. If the garlic and or onion get too brown remove them and let the tomato continue to roast.

Remove from grid, and put the vegetables into a bowl, cover with saran wrap and allow to rest for about 10-15 minutes. The steam from the roasted veggies will make them easier to peel. You will want to peel and puree your roasted veggie mix at this time. An immersion blender works the best but a stand alone blender will work also. Puree the mixture well to end up with a better finished product. I like to leave it a little chunky.

Using the same set up as above use a CI DO to cook soup. When the CIDO is heated add sliced celery and sliced carrots with olive oil and let cook for 10 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients (except parmesan cheese) plus pureed vegys and cook at a simmer (225-250) for about 30-45 minutes to allow all of the flavors to bloom. Stir about every 10-15 minutes. Salt & pepper to taste.

Before you are ready to serve add the grated Parmesan cheese and stir it to a smooth consistency. Add a sprinkle of chopped fresh basil for garnish when you place the soup into your serving bowls.

Enjoy....

Comments