Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAPP gas vs. propane

Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering the purchase of a Bernzomatic torch for lighting lump. I know that MAPP gas burns hotter than propane, but is there a significant difference when using it to light lump? I would appreciate any opinions, advice or suggestions.

Comments

• BamaBob,
    i;ve never used propane, and have used mapp for over a year now. .. its my understanding that
    1. mapp burns much hotter so it is easier to light a load of lump and
    2. the benzomatic mapp torch works great upside down, whereas its my understanding (again, i haven't tried propane) that the propane torch doesn't work well, or at all, in an inverted mode. . .[p]also, don't know how long a tank of propane lasts, but i'm still on my first tank of mapp, and thats after using on average 3 times a week for over a year now. .. [p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I share your understanding of the relative heats, and it seems borne out by my experience.[p]That said... I put the MAPP nozzle on a propane tank, as much for the ignitor as anything else. Surprise! With a propane nozzle, it would flame out when the tank was inverted - with the MAPP nozzle no problem at all. I've been lighting once or twice a week for four or five months now and getting good consistent starts.[p]Ken

• Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    BlueSmoke,
    I do occassionally get flameouts with my MAPP torch inverted, but only in cold weather.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    BlueSmoke,[p]Are you saying the "NOZZLE" is different? I thought the nozzle was univeral, but the tank wa different (that what I was told at Hdepot.
  • FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    BamaBob,buy the Mapp torch with the rubber hose extension,

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    BamaBob,[p]I tested my Mapp torch against my old trusty propane torch one time to see if they were anywhere near equal at starting fires. There was little comparison between the two. Both torches are similiar in design with the pizo electric starter on the head that screws on the tank of gas. I open the bottom vent and hold the flame on the lump for 10-20 seconds and then on a second spot for about the same time. Then close the dome and off it goes. The propane worked but I had to hold it on the lump in only one spot and it took much longer and never made the lump glow bright red like the hotter Mapp gas does. Get the Mapp - good stuff.[p]Tim
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Smokey, I think there is a small difference in the oriface.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    tach18k,[p]You know thr FCC may fine you for that kind of language![p]Smokey

• Bamabob
    Thanks everybody. I just returned from Lowe's with my new Bernzomatic JTH7 (torch with hose extension) and a cylinder of MAPP gas. The kid who was helping me was a little perplexed when he found out what my intentions were.
  • ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]..and you can weld with it!
  • BlueSmoke,
    That's pretty much what I do. Bought the MAPP torch head and had several extra propane cylinders sitting around, so I used them. I've gone back and forth several times, and cannot tell the difference. Propane is 1/4 the price of MAPP.
    Dave

• Bamabob
    Thanks everybody. I just returned from Lowe's with my new Bernzomatic JTH7 (torch with hose extension) and a cylinder of MAPP gas. The kid who was helping me was a little perplexed when he found out what my intentions were.
  • wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    BamaBob,
    Sometimes I can't resist beating a dead horse and this is one of them! I see you've already gotten more responses than anyone would need to justify a MAPP purchase. If you are in need of a MAPP-annonymous recovery group, you certainly found enough support here to carry on with your life. But, I'm a recovering MAPP-aholic and still need to talk things out occasionally too. I bought my first MAPP canister and associated paraphenalia last August. Being a bit insecure and perhaps even paranoid, I bought an extra MAPP canister right away. I religiously use the MAPP to light my fire (Jim Morrison wasn't the only way to do it)and use Weber "candle wax" only when doing a low 'n slow and only out of reverence and deference to the legendary Elder Ward (he's my hero).[p]I use my egg on average, 2 or 3 times a week at least, and I'm just now reaching the end of the first canister...so, don't worry about the economics. I go 20 seconds each at 3 locations...works everytime. Just watch out for sparks from the lump![p]