Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Please; 2nd Lo-Slo Pork Butt finishing fast

Options
PackerFan
PackerFan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hello,[p]The last time I smoked a pork butt I ended up pulling a 6.5 lb butt off at 200 degrees in right at 19 hours. I threw a 5.5 lb butt on last night at 9:30 and just woke up and the internal is 181, grid level is 230 and dome is 250. I have a redi chek wireless which I had set to alarm me at 240. I woke up a couple times and it was always in the 230-235 range. This butt is suppose to be dinner tonight but it looks like it may be done by lunch. I have read about pulling the butt off and wrapping in foil and towel but how long will that work. It is 7:20 AM where I am at and I was wanting to eat at about 5:30. Any suggestions? Is it possible the meat probe is too close to the bone?[p]Thanks,
Kenny

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Sometimes things just work out that way, PF. You can certainly pull the probe out and put in another area of the butt to check the temp. Either way, you will be fine. When it's done, just do the foil wrap and cooler thing. It will stay hot for an unbelievably long time. Just check the temp after 3-4 hours and if it is dropping towards the danger zone (<140°), just pop it into a 250° oven for 20-30 mins.[p]Jim
  • PackerFan
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Thanks for the advise. I am going to wait until it hits 200 and then check the temp. I lowered the egg to 215 grid and 235 dome. Butt is now at 184.[p]Thanks,
    Kenny[p]

• PackerFan
    Options

I may have spoke too soon. The temp made ot to 184 then went back to 183 and hasn't moved a degree in about an hour. Is it possible for the Butt to plateau at this high of a temp? I guess it could still be positioning of thermometer. Maybe it is actually only 160-170 range. I don't want to break the golden rule and open the egg. Oh well. I'm off so I have all day.[p]Kenny