Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Probe thermometers

wattwizz
wattwizz Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I loved using a probe thermometer wired with an external
digital read out not having to open the dome during cooking. I have been through 3 of them. They all starting getting false read outs (up & down). I finally called the manufacture and they explained after constant use over coals the wire going to the probe would damage the unit. Then what the heck is it for if you can't use it for bbq, only an oven? Does anyone know of a probe thermometer that will hold up for this use or have another idea?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    They all have limits...but we are talking in the 400° range...the "constant" use remark sounds like a crock to me...if it's still within the warranty period I would expect a replacement....the one that I had that lasted the longest was made by Nu Temp...gotta couple of mavericks that didn't last very long at all..my polder has just recently started acting funky, but it's a couple years old also...dont know that any one is going to be noticeably better than the next as I'm pretty sure they are ALL made in china..
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Someone on here found a thermal sleeving for his probe wires. I thought it looked like a good idea, so I ordered mine in yellow (is there another color that goes with green).

The trick is to tuck the cut end in and wrap some wire around. It is fiberglass and you wouldn't want it to fray into your food.

The probe wires on my DigiQ II are holding up, you could do the same with any unit...I'm not sure if it makes a huge difference. I'm sure someone will chime in to tell me I'm nuts, but it works for me.

http://www.swapmeetsupply.com/Mr-Gasket-6326B-Inferno-Shield-Thermal-Sleeving-p/mrg-6326-b.htm
  • I was having problems with my digital/remote thermometer made by Oregon Scientific. In conversations with them, they indicated their unit was really a "smoker" unit and not made for temps over 400* or so. They claimed some of their distributors were advertising the unit as more than that, and as a result, they were seeing an increase in returned failed units. Don't know if that helps.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • WessB
    The digiQ probes are good to 1000° so there is no need to be concerned with damaging them...didn't look at the sleeve, but wanted to say it aint necessary on the guru's braided stuff.
  • WessB
    Thanks..but I don't have an issue..wattwizz was the one asking...I would like to persoanlly have something cheap and reliable...but if I'm in any way concerned I just pull out the Guru..no worries with that in control..
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    8 or 9 years ago I made several of these protectors also. Instead of wrapping with wire like you did I used brass tubing to make ferrules which I then crimped. These worked for a while til the probes would go bad anyway.
    IMG_1429.jpg

Now I just wrap my metal mesh cables with foil. I've seen too many of my older probes get hard and crusted from grease and smoke and splatters. So - I wrap and stay clean!
    IMG_1525.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WokOnMedium
    Thanks Wess, specs that I've read say 700*, which as you said, makes it a moot point, unless they accidentally get hit by direct flame, or, I want to string them through the dome. In which case I feel my investment is safe. "I'm a safety girl."

OTOH, I think the sleeving may be helpful to those with wires that don't tolerate the the temps.
  • WessB
    Right you are...and I was gonna say the guru wires were 750° but wasnt sure, so I checked their site and it said 1000..either way plenty enough for what we do..
  • WokOnMedium
    So what you're telling me is, after I've gone to all this hassle, my probes are gonna go bad anyway? Then my pretty yellow sleeving will get too nasty to use and I'll be wrapping in foil? :laugh: :laugh: Dang it!
  • WokOnMedium
    Yes indeed. I live and learn. What else can I say. :unsure:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I have a cheap Weber unit [$36.95 I think] that works fine. Remote temp probes are for low & slow anyway, so what;s the problem? I would'nt use one on a 550 degree
    steak cook anyway. B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    yup...notice how golden my pure white ones became - now they are dark mahogany brown and a little stiff! They shield the cable, but if the fire is too hot they fry anyway.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I solve the problem by using cheap digitals I get at Walmart for about $13 each, made by AccuRate. I don't worry if one fails, since they're almost always in stock. They've actually proven to be very reliable, lasting two years or more in low-n-slow duty.

My way of protecting the wires is to trail them from the meat, over one of the legs of the plate setter (since I almost always use it when I'm doing a low-n-slow) and out the shell of the Egg. The wires get smoked up, but they never get roasted.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    ww,

I run them through the daisy wheel and try and keep them from seeing too much direct heat. Only problem I've had is borrowing it to a friend who left it in the rain.