Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BGE Seal

belchewbelchew Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking Pizza last weekend on about 600 degree and now I dont have much of a seal left. Does anyone know the temp the seal will fail at? I have cooked pizza in the same spot before but at 450 and had no damage. I dont think I have even had my egg for even one month.
·

Comments

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,045
    My large the seal lasted about 2 weeks. That was early last summer. Works fine without it now.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Yours lasted a month? My first cook on my egg was pizza, and I charred my gasket pretty well. Now it's just a black, crusty, crumbly mess, but my egg cooks as well now as it did then. Don't sweat it.
    ·
  • GeoGeo Posts: 53
    As long as you are not leaking smoke or air you're good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,231
    There are numerous posts here about changing the gasket. Use the search feature of the forum to find them.

Many people cook without a gasket with no problems. I like having a gasket due to the cushioning effect from it when the lid is closed.

Most people replace their gaskets with a Nomex one which has a higher heat rating. The BGE company will sometimes send you a free Nomex gasket if you ask. Tell them how long your gasket lasted.

After changing a gasket, do a few low temperature cooks to let it settle in.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • I fried my gasket on the 4th cook. put my nomex gasket on in freezing weather. it all fits now except the bottom one has a 4 inch section pulled out into fire box. I am cooking to much to repair it. Doesn't seem to effect the egg. I have been doing a low and slow at 250 all day now and no problem with temp fluctations. The EGG is very forgiving...
    ·