Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon - Suggestions?

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having Filets for dinner (it's still early out west) and I'm looking to do something different. Usually sear and dwell with a variety of seasonings; Montreal, Mansmiths, Emeril's, or something similar. I've done T-Rex and tried Char-Crust.[p]I like them all (although the Char-Crust was a bit of a dipappointment), but think I'd like something a little different. The steaks (Costco 1 1/2") are coming up to room temp - no seasonings yet. Oh yeah - only side so far is baked potatos. [p]Any Suggestions?

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    WJS, Artichokes! MMMMMm

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    WJS,[p]Simmer some balsamic vinegar on the stove with fresh rosemary until you've reduced the vinegar enough so that there's a lot more sweet than sour, then do a quick marinade, or just baste the steaks with the reduction.[p]It's a nice touch - I do this a lot with whole tenderloins.[p]TRex
  • WJS
    Options
    tach18k,
    Yeah, tried to pick some up at Costco, but they were out. Didn't particularly care for the offerings at Albertsons. Gotta come up with something else.

• WJS
    Options
    TRex,
    That sounds good! Got a ton of rosemary growing in the yard, and a variety of Basalmics (love the stuff!). I think I'll make some just to see how it turns out, and try it if it comes out OK.
    Thanks!

• Did some on the egg on Sunday, topped with a cream sauce made with fresh Oregon morrels, wonderful.
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Filets seasoned with fresh cracked pepper and coarse salt, after searing and dwelling, remove and apply melted garlic butter . . . like Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    WJS,[p]Let me know what you think.[p]TRex
  • WJS
    Options
    TRex,
    Great suggestion! Clipped a couple of sprigs of rosemary off and threw them in a pot with the basalmic and let it simmer. The smell just kept getting better and better. Threm some kosher salt and cracked pepper on the steaks and worked that in. Then brushed each side with the reduced basalmic twice, resting between. BGE at about 650. Seared each side about 2 min, flipped a final time, again basting with each turn. Then dwelled about 12 min (one more turn). Should have pulled them a touch quicker, a little overdone for me, great for the Mrs. (came out med rare)[p]Ate em all up, even the wife had good things to say.[p]I'll have to try this again, with a little advance prep. Was thinking about the same thing, but after the initial brushing of the steak (a little further ahead of time to soak in a bit, like a marinade), adding some corn starch to the basalmic to make a glaze to brush on for the dwell.[p]Thanks again for the idea.[p]John