Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone for Big Green Egg, What size & kind?

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Eggers!
I have a large Bib Green Egg. What kind and size of Pizza Stone is best for large Big Green Egg? If it is too big will it ruin me gasket? Where is the best place to purchase one?

Thanks for all of your help in advance,
Scooby the nubie at the Big Green Egg

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Welllll, your egg dealer should have one. Stock code is bs-l = bake stone large. It will do a fine job of making pizza and baking breads. So axe yo dealler.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I've had my stone for many years, and I love it.

I really like the fact that it has legs, so I don't need to worry about putting an air space between it and the plate setter. It's 16" diameter, which I think is perfect for my Large Egg. I have also taken it off the Egg at 600°, and it's never cracked.

I'm sure the BGE stone is good, but look around.

stone.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Safest bet is to use a BGE pizza stone...it wont break like cheaper stones will.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I have that same stone, or at least one very similar. I got my at Crate and Barrel many years ago.
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Get the size stone you want, and if it fries your gasket, get a nomex gasket. I use a 16" stone on the large because it suits my needs. It has never "fried" the gasket, but then my gaskets are from many years ago when the felt gaskets seemed to not have the troubles that the current ones appear to have. I think I have one more of the old gaskets and when that's no longer suitable, I'll probably spring for a nomex gasket or some other option. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Scooby7667, Welcome to the forum. Get the BGE large baking stone from your dealer and depending on your setup you may need a large plate setter and you may want to get three extra bge feet to place under your pizza stone on top of your plate setter. :) Tim

Some of this is not necessary but don't worry others will chime in.

Like this.

000_1608.jpg

Be aware people have fried their gasket baking pizzas like this. Especially baking at high temps on a new egg.
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    get the large big green egg stone, you will not be disappointed.....it handles the heat better than most others....i started out with a Pampered Chef stone that broke after 2 cooks, i bought the big green egg stone and it has cooked dozens of pizza at 600 degrees without failure
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    that's good to hear as I met yesterday with the rep making that stone. small world. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Scooby's Eggin again!
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I always like to do a little research, before I purchase anything. In fact I would not own an "Egg" if I did not do any research. So far I love it. If any one has a good recipe for a beginner, please let me know. Egg on!

Scooby
  • dcdave
    dcdave Posts: 8
    Options
    does anyone use a fibrament stone? we have one in our oven and it is fantastic. I'm looking to get a stone for my egg as well.

http://www.bakingstone.com/grilling.php
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Watch the DVD that came with it the egg...you can gain some tips from website below..the Naked Whiz's site has tremendous amounts of info....Enjoy..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Scooby, Here is a simple whole chicken cook that is simply delicious. Click here for complete instructions. Tim ;)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm