Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

London Broil

Options
D'man
D'man Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Q'in people,[p]Work has been really busy and I haven't had much time to read, post or evan Egg for a while (and I missed it all)! Anyway, yesterday, I purchased a 2.5 lb London Broil (on sale) and am in search of some Egging pointers (low & slow, high temp sear, char-crust, rub ... what?). Please help![p]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    D'man,[p]Marinate in Guiness. [p]Season simply, or with your favorite rub. Sear hot, and dwell like a steak. Man, time for me to do another one of those.[p]Good excuse to go get some guiness too!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,[p]Sounds great. My mouth started watering reading your post! Do you recommend 700*+? Is the meat tender like that?

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I make my Guinness marinade with one bottle of Guinness with about a tablespoon of minced garlic (or crush a couple of cloves and use that instead). Last time I made it I also added a few black peppercorns and a dash of Worchestire sauce (sp). I marinaded it for about 24 hours and cooked it like a steak (after rubbing it with a little black pepper and and onion powder).[p]Guinness is an excellent marinade for beef, and the leftover stout keeps the chef happy. :)

• Nature Boy
    Options
    D'man,
    That is probably also a good cut of meat to try the flash freeze low smoke method before searing. Marinate, rub then freeze for 2 hours.[p]Smoke low over hickory or mesquite for a half hour, then remove while you bring humpty up to searing temps. Yum.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    D'man (pronounced D man)!,
    I'd say 700 is good. Yeah, it is tender. Not porterhouse tender, but when sliced thin across the grain, it is juicy and very flavorful. Not as much fat as other steaks.[p]Also taste good with a mushroom/guinness type sauce.[p]Leftovers delicious even cold.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Options
    D'man,
    Marinate for about 2 hours or so in a concoction of your choosing...then cook it like a steak. Eggcellent!

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    D'man,[p]I favor a method suggested to me by JJ. Marinate overnight in your favorite beer. Sear 700F 2 minutes each side and remove. Close EGG down to reduce temp to 450F. Slice meat into 1/4" strips across the grain and place in a cast iron pan. Return to EGG to finish (they finish quickly). The beauty of the method is that you can see how done the meat is and remove it in stages as it reaches doneness. The side benefit is you get a nice amount of pan juices to work with. We prefer only cracked pepper on both sides.[p]I hope I stated it right JJ, this works for us. Thanks.[p]Spin