Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd egg

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering adding to the nest. I have a large now, but when I'm doing low and slow and it's tied up, I don't have another one to do ABT's and other appetizers. Also, my wife is a vegetarian(yep, it's true)and there are times when I'd like the ability to prepare two dishes at the same time. My question is, should I go for small or medium. I was thinking, if I get a small, I could possibly take it with me at times and that would be an advantage. What do ya'll think (not about the veggie in the house - about the other egg)?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    go for the small - it's the perfect 1 - 2 punch. At least that's the route I went - large first, then a small and then I bought a medium. I actually seldom use my medium, but love it anyway. Only once have had all three stoked at the same time - but when it did happen that was an awesome feeling - kinda like my very own Eggfest! Of course if you really mean travel and it is only you egging then a mini might be a better addition for you.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    Go for the small....It is the perfect compliment to the large. I use my small the same amount if not more than my large............Page

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I just got a small to add to my large. I can't wait to try the small with my new clip using the BBQ Guru.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    Go for the small. I find it the perfect size for testing charcoal. Oh wait! You wanna cook on it. LOL! Ok, it's great for that too![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]I have a large, small, and a mini. I use the small more often than the others. It holds really an impressive amount, uses little charcoal, and heats up in a flash.[p]LARGE/SMALL is the ultimate combo. I just don't see much utility for the medium.
  • Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I bought a large and mini right out of the gate. I feel bad, I use the mini so little. I wish I would of gotten a small instead. The mini will be good when I take it on the road though.

• TRAILER MONKEY
    Options
    MerlinEgger,I purchased a small after owning a large for quite a while. In the beginning, I thought I did not like the small! Boy, was I wrong! After using both, It became apparent that they have their own unique personalities! After adjusting to these characteristics, I have found the small to actually do most of my cookin! I carry it to the deer lease, camping, freinds houses etc. It does a fine job on everything I have attempted including 2 boston butts at one time on an 18 hr. low&slow. I have cooked 3 racks of ribs at one time, and even 2 large "butterball " chickens at the same time! I drive a ford f-350 crew cab, and I simply set "Jr." in the backseat and have him wear his seatbelt!! In short, dont hesitate to choose the small, you will LOVE it!!

• Smoke 'n Things
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I have the large and small combo. I have had the large about 4 years and got the small at the last Eggtoberfest. I like the small a lot. I had similar needs, I wanted to be able to cook some wings or ABTs while cooking some ribs, etc. I have found the small to be a great cooker, it is perfect for a couple of steaks. It is the favorite cooker for during the week for cooking for 2-3 people. Also, I have found it is not too bad to take with you.[p]One thing with the small, I would recommend setting up some sort of extended grid setup. Because the grid is pretty close to the charcoal. Which is great for steaks, but too close for some other things. I was able to buy another small fire ring on Ebay which works well. When I am cooking wings, ABTs, or something similar, I use the double fire ring setup and when I cooking steaks, burgers, etc., then I go with the normal single fire ring setup.

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    MerlinEgger, Go for the Small. I have the small/large combo and use the small most of the time. It's very handy and cooks up some wonderful meals.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I will just echo the advise of the others - the small makes a great companion to the large. And I take mine camping or anywhere else that I care to take an egg. I load it into the back of my pickup truck, pad it carefully into the front corner and pack things around it so it won't tip over. I have a nest, too, and usually take that with me as well. You can pick a small up fairly easily, but you don't want to walk very far with it! I roll mine to the rear of my truck in the nest, then reach around it and pick it up and set it on the tail gate. I have a Bed Rug in the back of my truck so it is easy to slide it up to the front behind the cab.

• ToyCollector
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]I also added a small to my large and find they complement each other very well. Simply found that for things like a small batch of wings, some burgers, etc. it was a waste to fire up the large. I am trending to using it as much as the large at this point and I just got a ceramic plate so I can do some indirects with it and bought another grid so I can have some more flexibility with it.