Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Dallas; any restaurant musts??

Options
WWSis
WWSis Posts: 1,448
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am traveling to Dallas next Tuesday for work; I'll be there three nights and was wondering if any area eggers could advise on a good restaurant or two?

Comments

• Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Options
    What part of town are you staying at and what type of food do you like?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    One thing about Dallas, you dont have to go to an upscale establishment(or own an egg) to get a good steak. Great steakhouses are on every corner it seems.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Di wrote:
    What part of town are you staying at and what type of food do you like?

Ditto - if we knew what part of Dallas that could help narrow it down.
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • WWSis
    Options
    Not sure what part of town; I love Italian. I could find out what area, just don't have that info at home.
  • WWSis
    Options
    Hehe. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Coming from Vermont I forget the need to identify an "area of town" :laugh: Dallas is probably 40 times bigger than our largest city! Maybe I'll ask again tomorrow, thanks!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Yes, DFW is quite the metropolis, especially if you arent used to that. It was large to me even being from Atlanta.
    There is a large chain of Mexican restaurants that may be a decent idea for lunch one day. Typical Mexican pricing, decor, etc but food with a significant flavor of authenticity that I hadn't had before. I will try to think of it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    If I were you I would CERTAINLY find out what area of town you're going to.If not you wont know whether to carry a revolver or an Uzi!!! :woohoo:
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    When you know (and yes, Dallas is quite spread out), here's one resource

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/dining/dallas

My dream restaurants would be Fearings's, Stephan Pyles, Craft.

I do like Houston's, but have only been there for lunch.

Wish I could help on the Italian, but I haven't really found the style I'm familiar with and prefer (having moved here from NY 20 years ago). Most of it fits more with the "EYE-talian" pronounciation you hear frequently around here. On a positive note, it did force me to learn how to make my own pizza....
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    A must !!!! Their salsa is to die for, and just good ole Tex Mex.

http://www.mercadojuarez.com/

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Julia

We were just there for the Cotton Bowl. The "pappas" chain of restaurants seem to have consistently good food. Pappasitos (Mexican), Pappa Brothers (Steak, I think), Pappasam (I think - seafood).

We ate Saturday night downtown at "Dakotas" and had an excellent (pricey) dinner.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Pappadeux is the seafood resturaunt it is fairly good but quite pricey.

Del Friscos is another for a steak house Award winning

Traildust is a very good steak house fairly priced but dont wear a necktie. You wont leave with it intact lol :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Thanks on the Pappadeaux. I haven't been to that one, but a friend went recently and enjoyed it. Guess I butchered the name pretty bad.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Well, if you are stuck in Dallas, that's too bad-they are sending you to a Mexican food chain-avoid it. Head West, to the North side of Fort Worth and look for "Joe T. Garcia's" or one of his kid's places like Esparanza's in the hospital district. It is going to be in the 70s and the margaritas on the patio at Joe T's are hard to beat. Remember, if Fort Worth is where the West begins, Dallas is where the East peters out. :ohmy:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Wow! All the restasurants named are $$$$$ ! There are plenty of great restaurants here that won't bilk you. Great little Mom and Pop Mexican places,BBQ places and some outstanding, yes, outstanding German restaurants. Avoid the Italian places.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    If Fort Worth is so great why do you claim to be from the DFW Metroplex? J. T. Garcias IS great, however.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Because no one, thankfully, knows where Aledo is.
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Better yet, Sis...let me know where you are staying and I'll TAKE you to a great place! ;)
  • J_ Rod
    J_ Rod Posts: 18
    Options
    depending on what your looking for:

Steaks - Bob's Chop House @(lemmon and wycliff)or III Forks (on the Dallas North Tollway @ Trinity Mills)

Fearings is at the Ritz on McKinney (very good)

All Mexican (El Fenix, Uncle Julios, Mi Cocina

Seafood - Ocean Prime (uptown)

Italian - sorry not the best Italian in Dallas

I live in the Metroplex and work downtown, just let me know where you will be working/staying and what types of food you want and I will send you plenty of options.
  • J_ Rod
    J_ Rod Posts: 18
    Options
    Pappadeaux's is seafood, cajun - one of my fave's
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Good one, Rancho :laugh:
  • Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    I would have to second the recommendations for Bobs Steak and Chop House. Probably one of the best upscale steak houses I have ever been. There is one in Dallas and one in Grapevine... go to the Dallas location.

Other recommendations:

- Tex-Mex: Uncle Julios, Pappasitos
    - Argentinean (and some tex-mex): Glorias (incredible Mojitos!!!)
    - Brazilian Charuscaria (or as the misses calls it all-you-can eat meat on a sword): Foga da Chow (located in Addison, TX near the Dallas Galleria)
    - Wine Bar with incredible food, wine intelligent waiters, and great wine selection: Mercy (located off of Belt Line Road in Dallas)
    - Seafood: Chamberlains Fish Market (located off of Beltline Rd in Addison) They serve the most amazing Chapino I have ever eaten along with other delicious fish dishes)
    - Cupcake Bakery (yes cupcakes!): Sprinkles (yum yum)

These are some of my favorites. Let me know if you need to have more options or for cuisines not listed. I live in the midcities are (between Ft. Worth and Dallas) so I can easily do some more 'research' ;) .
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    We love Trader Vic's on North Central Expressway and Southeast corner at Mockingbird near S.M.U. We used to go there in the 60's when dating. A transendentalial medation groupe bought the hotel where it was and closed it down because it did not meet their way of life. over 20 years later, hotel sold and Trader Vic came back to life. Everthing inside the restaurant was still there. Known for their bar but it has two large Komado "eggs" that are enclosed in a room to keep smoke out but still has flavor. Food is fantastic and moderately pricy. Polyneasian style.

In Ft. Worth, Joe T Garcia will not take credit cards so take cash. Worth it.

Also in Ft Worth downtown is Reata restaurant. great steaks and calf fries. I think Ft Worth has better eating.
  • KCEGGER
    KCEGGER Posts: 29
    Options
    Go to The Palm Steakhouse. www.thepalm.com

Best place in town hands down.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Kevin Rathbun and his Atlanta restaurants (Kevin is also an Egg enthusiast). Kevin teamed with his Dallas based brother Kent to defeat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef. I ate at Kent's restaurant Jasper's in Plano and really enjoyed the meal. Kent has several area restaurants and they've gotten good publicity. www.kentrathbun.com

Roudy
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Strictly a CHAIN!OLD SanFransisco Steakhouse,It's a TRIP!Decent Prime Rib for a CHAIN!Funniest shat you ever saw!Tote an UZI,loaded with hollow points!It is the WILD WEST! ;)
  • Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    hae to break it to ya, but SF Steak House closed a few years back. The misses and myself were prety bummed, because they had great prime rib, french onion soup served in an actual onion, and who could go wrong to be greeted with a big block of swiss cheese!!!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    If you're just slummin', go to The Mansion at Turtle Creek. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• N'awlins
    Options
    BBQ?? Sonny Bryan's is a must - Gotta get the onion rings also!!!

www.sonnybryans.com
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Now, how would anyone from N'awlins know anything about good eating?

Hmmmm,,....uh, nevermind :S :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.