Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good mail day for me!

Options
SmokinSoCal
SmokinSoCal Posts: 145
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thermopen, Adjustable Rig, 7qt Lodge DO.... Where do I start..... I love my EGG

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Sounds like Christmas at the SmokniSoCal house.

Congratulations.

GG
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    You are gonna LOVE that adjustable rig. i use it on almost every cook. If you didn't get the spider, put it on your "wish list" - very useful.

Thermapen - not a want, but a need. ;)
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    I didnt think I need the spider since I have the platesetter. Could'nt really see an other reason for having the spider. Input?

Thanks,
    Todd
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Did you get your footed pajamas and hand your wife the camera? I told you...like Christmas when you're 6!
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    ohhh ya... My Guru will be here tomorrow as well.. Oh Happy Days!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Todd, Todd, Do you eat steaks?

The spider is the TRex bomb! I also have a platesetter, but don't use it as much since getting the spider.

TREx steak: Put spider, hanging down toward lump. Put 13" CI grid (BGE CI for small egg) on the spider. Leave dome open and get lump so hot the CI starts to turn white. Place steak on grid for 90 seconds per side. Leave dome open the whole time (to keep from getting the dome ceramics too hot).
    DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    Remove steak to platter, place adjustable rig in with BGE grid on top, close vents and dome. Get temp stabilized at 400* (may take about 15-20 min). This is when I season my steak (the rub will burn during the sear).
    Place back on and pull when internal temp hits 125* for medium rare. Foil and rest for 5-8 minutes. ENJOY !
    DSC_0447.jpg
    The spider is also good for holding a drip pan, an indirect piece and a wok.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Todd,

Guru, too. WOW ! What a week! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    DO I EAT STEAKS!!!!!!! Damn U EGG!!! Will be placing me order soon for a spider. Thank god I bought a HUGE Gas Grill to put all this stuff in!!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Just got my order in last week - a Wok, 2 oval grids and the slider parts, plus a grid extender. I haven't broken them in yet.
    It NEVER ENDS !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    SmokinSoCal, Now I don't have the CGS rig but if I did I would get the spider and the 13inch baking stone and the wok then I would got to my bge dealer and get my 13inch CI grate. Just saying, Tim
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    The plate setter will not work with the AR.
    For indirect you use a pizza stone on the spider under it with drip pan, or on the lowest level of the AR.

13" small or 15" medium cast iron grids work very well on the spider which holds them down closer to the fire.
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    Go it. But why would I ever need to use the AR with a pizza stone for indirect if I have aplatesetter? I figure I wouldnt...

Thanks
  • Bonehead
    Bonehead Posts: 113
    Options
    I have a very similar wishlist.
    Thermapen, AR/Spider combo, and a Ken Onion 8" chef's knife. I can't wait :woohoo:
  • Danman
    Danman Posts: 22
    Options
    "where do I start" new egg before christmas (not a gift) built a table. found this forum started reading between cooks,platesetter,pizza stone,themapen and coming tomorrow woo3 and wok.And now whats next ? lol.Having a great time with it so far
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    SmokinSoCal, When you are smoking multiple slabs of ribs or butts. Also (again I haven done this) a vertical turkey. I'm sure there are other reasons. :) Tim
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    Maybe im crazy, I have done 6 slabs of ribs on the Inverted V Rack. Vertical Turkey was hoping no fire ring plate setter and I would be good to go. Just curious. Thanks
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I hear you. :side:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I was pretty happy as well. I got my 3 new TelTru therms. Turns out you can zip past your temp just like on the old one. :P
  • Avocados
    Options
    Try setting that AR on the plate setter and you will see what I mean ;)

Then go back to Tom's site and look at his photos for indirect setups using the adjustable rig.

The AR is designed to sit directly on the fire ring.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Aye. Thats some good stuff there. You will enjoy those.
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    Avocados wrote:
    Try setting that AR on the plate setter and you will see what I mean ;)

Then go back to Tom's site and look at his photos for indirect setups using the adjustable rig.

The AR is designed to sit directly on the fire ring.

Ok, maybe your not understanding..... WHY use the AR if you have a Platesetter. No one said use them together..... For indirects I will use the platesetter for indirect cooks and AR for things that need t be raised...o:huh: :huh: :huh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Todd,

A few months ago I did a large cook with 40# of butts on my large. After consulting with Tom (tjv), here is the setup:
    "Lump to just under the spider. 14" BGE pizza stone on spider with 14" tjv, foil wrapped round drip pan on stone. Adustable rig with grid on lowest setting and original BGE grid on top."
    DSC_0271.jpg
    After 18 hrs - Sweet:
    DSC_0276.jpg
    DSC_0279.jpg
    Couldn't have done this with a platesetter.
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    Thank you! Thats all I was asking is WHY? Very nice photos!
  • Avocados
    Options
    Oh.. got what you meant that time :laugh:

I also have three plate setters for my three large eggs and quite often use them for indirect cooks and I usually do my ribs like you stacked in a v-rack or a rib rack.

My point was exactly what Misippi Egg was illustrating in his photo with the AR. Using the spider/stone gets your indirect piece and drip pan down lower which gives you more usable vertical space for multi-level grid cooks (like smoking jerkey) or stacking big butts!!