Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer doesn't fit

Options
Cornfed
Cornfed Posts: 1,324
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Way back when I broke Mr Egg, one of the many casualties was the dome thermometer. I've been cooking using only my BBQ senses and some cosmic karma to gauge the temp for the past couple months. At E2K, however, I finally purchased a dome thermometer. The problem is, the damn thing doesn't fit into the dome thermometer hole in my dome! WTF?!? My guess is that there's some built up goo in the hole from 2 months of Q'ing without the therm. Any ideas? I simply rested it through the daisy last time I used it and it worked out well. This was a 300 deg cook, though. I dunno how well it would work for low and slow.[p]Anti-Heeeeeeeeee,
Cornfed

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]"WTF?!?".[p]I am not aware of any changes in the diameter of the shaft of the BGE dome thermometer. I agree with you that the hole may be clogged. Clean out the opening with whatever is necessary to provide proper insertion of the thermometer. You will clear the hole long before you hurt your Egg.[p]Spin

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Spin,
    we tried using twigs...and some realy thin twigs fit through...but we figured "goo" would be removed with the metal thermometer...but doesn't seem so.....and we even tried some descent force....butn no dice.
    Do u think that it's possible that the over the last few months the egg dome insert-for-thermometer has heat-expanded whereas the thermometer wont fit?...and drilling is required?
    ST
    PS..u r geting my homemade tomatoe sauce via next-day either next week or the one after that.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    You gotta be able to find something around to scrape that sucker out. Swiss army knife? Small rat tail file? [p]Twigs aint gonna cut it. Sounds like there is some crusted material that needs scraping.[p]Soon you will be saying HEEEE.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,
    I would use a drill bit just slightly larger that the probe. Yall got that??

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I have this nice power drill from my dad from back when I moved out of the house as a "you're a man now" type gift. I only used it once, though, when I was putting up a dart board in my apartment. This is a pretty manly tool and it seems this is a pretty manly task. Maybe I should rev that baby up and see what happens. I'm fairly certain (..."pretty dern sure" in manly-speak...) that it will work.[p]Disclaimer: I'm using the term "manly" in a Home Improvement type sense. I definitely recognize that all sexes can drill...and probably better than I can. I'm just being silly.[p]PoliticallyCorrectFed
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Cornfed,
    Now that I have thought more about it, maybe start off with a bit the same size, or slightly smaller than the probe. Wiggle it around a bit to knock all that crap off that built up in the hole while your thermo was missing.[p]I am trying to picture that egg crashing to the pavement in such a way that you broke the thermometer. What was your estimated speed??[p]Good luck.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Whatever it takes to scrape the goo from clogging the hole so the gauge can be inserted is appropriate. A hangnail (cuticle) tool will do the job without the risk of injury to your Egg of much character.[p]Spin
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Here's the deal (or "dealo," if you prefer): the base Egg broke but the dome was intact. The thermometer was bent at nearly a 90 degree angle but still inserted and I stupidly took it out to take a look. I guess the metal is bendable but not malleable?!? I know I'm not using the right terms. I took one Mat Sci course in college but slept through much of it. Basically, it's bendable but once it bends, it's near broke! Anyway, I then straightened it out then tried to reinsert it and it broke on the way it. Boooooooooo!!![p]Now no thermometer. No thermometer bad!!! I went so long without one since I cooked mostly steaks (it's easy to know when you're at 1000 degrees...just follow the glowing Egg) and I'm now able to "feel" approx 300 degree cooks.[p]Now I need a therm for some ribs and some other slower cooks that I'm dying to try after E2K. I want squid, by the way, after yours at E2K. I had some fried squid at this Italian place in Whitehouse Station, NJ, this evening after work. I was trying to describe the proper texture to the chef but couldn't do it justice. I think he needs some of yours to get the point across...[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    Options
    Spin,[p]Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it tremendously! I don't want to risk injury to Mr Egg...you know...the kind of injury associated with power tools...[p]I need to say just in case some on the forum don't know. Spin is awesome!!! Just watch the video for the artist at work with the pizza! I like the line of something like "well, I've done a few of these" after you deftly chucked that pie into the BGE for the video. It was my pleasure and honor sitting across from you at the bar after E2K. Sorry I kinda faded out at the end. I left for a quick break but then hit that critical "crash NOW" point and had to hit the hay. Sorry. Next Eggfest or Eggtoberfest or whatever, after hour beers are on ME! And please remember to hold me to that in return for the great conversation![p]Cornfed
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]
    Yea, me too. I picked up a new thermometer too and the diameter is slightly bigger. I put a drill bit in the hole and opened it up 1/16" - now it fits.[p]I am doing some experimenting with that new thermometer - it is way off from my old one so I am testing to see if they read the same at 212 and different at 400. More on that when I finish the testing.[p]Reem out that hole a little bit. [p]Tim

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Tim M,
    This is off this topic but did you brine or marinate those pork tenderloins at Eggfest or simply use the Char Crust?
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    JimW,[p]I took them right out of the cryovac bag they come it. Trimed any fat and coated with Char-Crust then on the grid direct at 350-375 til 155-160 internal temp. That takes 40-50 min. I rotate and peek every 10-15 min. You can also use salt and pepper with good results. Good luck!![p]Tim
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Tim M,
    I didn't think you did. Thanks, they're on the egg tonight.
    JimW

• Cornfed
    Options
    Tim M,[p]I'm gonna grab one of these on my way home for a cookout tomorrow. You've inspired my cook.
  • Spin
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]We both are still learning and any opportunity to share is worth the time. I look forward to the time and will hold you to that. The second half is on me.[p]Spin