Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breakfeast Sausage - Thirdeye Style - WOW!!!

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Wow!!! Thirdeye's Ranch Sausage is fantastic.

I finished a batch and cooked a pattie just to check things out. I love the red pepper and the other flavors.

You just can't buy stuff this good.

Wayne, this just passed pastrami and Buckboard Bacon. Not quite sure about the prime rib...

I sure do appreciate all the help from the forum on this sausage making.

Ran out of summer sausage so another 15# is on the egg right now.

I can hardly wait until tomorrow then the flavors have little time to distribute.

Don't pass up trying the Ranch Sausage, Thiredeye Style - it is a real keeper.

Time to eat and watch Jack solve the world's problems.

GG

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC08781aa.jpg

Whoa, It will be better tomorrow. Heheehe.

Oh, BTW.... it's Farm Sausage. Besides all the usual uses, you gotta try a plain sausage burger.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Kent or Wayne,

Will it hurt if we leave out the sage or do we have to replace it with something?

Today I had two pounds of trimmings ground by my butcher from the three spare ribs I trimmed and egged (i did cook up some of the trimmings) on Saturday.

My plan is to make a fattie from this homemade sausage. Tim
  • thirdeye
    Options
    No that's the beauty of sausage....add more of, or take out whatever you want. About all you need to keep constant is the liquid called out in recipes.

The beauty of the Farm and Italian recipes is that they are really good packaged in bulk or formed into logs, (or meatballs for the Italian) so even if you don't have a stuffer you can enjoy them.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Witch Italian Recipe do you use? This farm is pretty dang good, I think tomorrow it's going to be heaven.

I added a little ice water after the mix & grind. I could really taste a difference in the moisture content. Sure made a juicy (in a great way) pattie.

back to 24.

GG
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I think the Hot Italian barely inches out the Sicilian at my house because it's a little more universal. Of course you can back off the red pepper if you like. It's called HOT for a reason.

The Sicillian is so mellow with the Romano cheese and you can use ice water (or a splash of white grape juice) if you are not a wine drinker. I might add a tick more sugar if leaving the wine out.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

I cut the Farm Sausage ingredients to make 1# so some of the ingredients were pretty small measurements and trying to cut by 2/3 was a bit of a guessing game.

I am thinking more red pepper flakes in the Farm Sausage would make a heck of a brat size sausage sandwich. I have got to get some casings.

I have been hunting casings and found some places that seem to have a pretty good price on smaller quantities. Do I have to be careful with different peoples quality of the casings?

I am cutting the quantities to make smaller batches, I am not sure how much that is going to change end product.

All those recipes will be made at GG's house. This is really pretty fun.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Tim, you don't like sage?

I saw the amount of sage in the recipe and was wondering it it was going to be too strong but married with the other ingredients it sure takes on a great test.

You sure could cut it down and then cook a pattie to see if you like what you have and if you think you need more, add and if you think too much, less (next time).

I wish there was a reasonable way to get some of this to you, it is really outstanding.

Kent
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Well it's about time :laugh: .

Kent, glad to hear you had a good sausage experience.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Kent, As far as breakfast food goes we eat a lot of sausage and bacon on the weekend and we eat cereal during the week. We like the maple and hickory flavor but we don't buy the sage sausage we don't care for it that much. For now I happen to have about two pounds of ground pork left over from the rib cook I want to make into a fattie. What do you think if I use maple syrup for all or some of the liquid? Tim
  • You will notice different qualities with different brands of casings. But sometimes your choices will be pretty limited locally so you have to go with what you can get. When you are rinsing and flushing them you can sort out any damaged or ones with holes.

Try calling the meat department of several markets. I get mine from Albertsons. They don't have them out front so you have to ask, but with all the hunters they stock them.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I've had pretty good sucess with the "Home pack" brand..actually prefer it over the hi mountain ones I have gotten..And I will just shop them online for the best deal...they're not that hard to find..but there also isn't hundreds of places selling them either.....Sounds like you got the bug now....
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Let me recommend these guys for all the kitchen weapons you need for making sausage:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/

They make some great brines, too.

Bob V
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have injected pure maple in hams, 8oz to 10# and it gives a wonderful taste. The maple is not overpowering.

I think you should give it try and see how much you like it. Make sure you let us know.

Just had some the the Ranch Sausage this morning. Even better than when first mixed. The sage really isn't overpowering at all. Thirdeye's recipe is excellent.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have found some online sources that seem pretty reasonable as for price, but was wondering...

I will gather up some notes and make a post with the links to the sources and see what you and others think.

I found a Christmas Ebony casing for summer sausage that will be fun to have next year - everyone is getting Summer Sausage.

Second day on the Ranch Sausage - as you said better. I like the Ranch Sausage as much as I like the Wet Method of Pastrami.

Thanks, Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Kent, At what temp do you pull a pork sausage fattie? I have to look and see about the setup. I also plan to wrap it in bacon. :P Tim

I am excited about the maple syrup idea and I will let you know how it goes.

I'm sure you are right about the sage. Surely the fresh pork sausage with thirdeye's recipe is better than store bought.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Yup, you guys got me.

This is pretty fun. I want to try more recipes and some tweaking but the problem is I can't or shouldn't eat that much sausage.

I enjoyed your write up on the 'Newer Version Sausage Making'

I did buy the Cabela's Pro grinder. I ground 15# of boston butt and by the time I was done some of the pieces were partially cooked on the motor housing. I must not have the meat cold enough.

A step under the series you have. I am thinking of taking it back and getting the smallest version of what you have.

I do like the texture of fine grind.

Thanks for the tips and help, especially the olive oil.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: The new KA is on the way I am told.

A lot of this is your fault ya know. 15 more pounds of summer sausage finished last night plus a couple of pounds of pattie sausage.

Today some Bigwheel's World Famous Genuine Texas Hotlinks and some Hot Italian.

The problem I am having is cutting the quantities down to something I can manage to consume.

After I get a few flavors made I can begin to change up the ingredients a little, I think that will be fun. However, I am leaving Thirdeye's Farm Sausage alone.

I have to rethink my starting of lump in the egg. I am having a hard time holding 120° for an hour, then 140°, 160° and then the long haul of 180°.

I am thinking of using the mini to be a heat and smoke generator for the large. Stoker fan on the mini and pit probe in the large with a 3" tube from the top vent of the mini to the lower vent of the large. If I load the mini up to the top of the fire box there should be enough lump to fuel the entire cook.

Anyway, it is fun playing with all this.

I am not sure if I could do the summer sausage in the summer time.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I usually pull at 150°, same as I do for sliced butt. If you stuff/roll it is more difficult to measure the meat.

Thirdeye has a great write up on fatties, looks like he cooks to about 170°, I would trust his advice better than mine. Here is the link. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1991/03/sausage-fatties.html

Gator Bait had some great pictures of fatties wrapped in bacon. The wrapping in bacon might put a twist on the cook temperature and time.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thank you for the link. Very interesting site.

Kent
  • WessB
    Options
    Did you freeze the grinding head???? fully assembled with the auger in it..
  • WessB
    Options
    Just re-read...you may not have the option of reezing with that model....didn't look at Cabelas to see what you actually have...
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Kent,
    Sounds like you hit the spot!
    Glad it turned out for you.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Kent!

Another big WOW! You're on a roll. Good news wrt the KA.

I need to get some chuck and sirloin and grind up some hamburger...used up my last 2 lbs making cabbage soup today.

Fuuny about having to ratio down the ingredients. When I made Italian sausage I correctly ratioed everything excpet the red wine. I put a whole bottle of red in the mix when a cup was called for :whistle: . Needless to say I had some very aromatic Italian sausage. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    :lol:;) :side: :silly:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

No I didn't but after looking at your write up I will next time.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The head looks like yours but smaller neck. I can freeze it. The meat was 38° at the beginning of the grind. I ground 2 to 3 pounds at a time then back on the fridge.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

:) 1/3 of some of those measurements gets to where there is no measuring.

I guess in my mind making sausage and brats was a real mystery. But heck when I stop to think about it, every country had to come up with a way to use different cuts of meats and sausage was one of those ways.

After I get done making some of the other recipes thirdeye has up I am looking forward to making some pepperoni. I am guessing it is doable.

I am thinking about pizza, pepperoni, Farm Sausage, some good fresh ground beef - that would be a meat lovers meat lover pizza.

Speakingn of pizza. Buckboard bacon & tomato as well as buckboard pork loin and pineapple makes two great pizza pies.

Kent
  • WessB
    Options
    I go to 170° also...on non stuffed fatties..
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Got it. Thanks, Tim