Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for good butcher shop in Raleigh, NC area

Options
GaryBushey
GaryBushey Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any recommendations or a web site that lists the ones in the area? The local grocery stores are OK most of the time but no very good for really impressive cuts

Comments

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    Try this....

http://yp.yahoo.com
    Look-up Raleigh, NC and then butcher in search.

Several listed I have only used Nahunta.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think there is one in Carrboro named Cliff's or something. And maybe on in Wake Forest? I thought Celtic Wolf would have chimed in here, since I think he told be about the one in W.F. Sorry I couldn't be more precise.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lanier Jim
    Options
    Just go by Cooper's BBQ and ask them...and while you're there...pick me up a couple of sandwiches, about 500 of those hushpuppies, and 6 bottle's of sauce. :)

LJ
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    What Whiz said. I *highly* recommend Cliff's Meat Market in Carrboro, right next to Chapel Hill. Cliff is an old-time butcher who not only can do almost anything for you, but takes an interest in how you're going to cook it. If it sounds really good, he'll press you to bring him a sample.

Cliff's has been through an evolution of sorts in the past ten years (he's been there forever). He couldn't find steady help, nor any young butchers who wanted to join his shop. With the huge influx of Hispanics coming into the Triangle he hired a couple of Hispanic butchers to see how they would work out. Not only did they work out well, but Cliff doubled or tripled his business. The local Hispanic folks come in and request cuts like they have at home and Cliff's regulars still come in for crown roasts, pork butts, and whole pigs.

Cliff's was written up in the Oxford American a year or so ago and there was a wonderful line in the article. The police dogs always howl when they get close to Cliff's.

Try him out, but once you know what you need you can just phone ahead and they will have it ready for you to pick up.

Bob V
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    should have been up a level - sorry
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    DaVinci's in Wake Forest. He's on Roberts Road. Guy was a Butcher in NYC for years before he moved down here. He's got some really good store made sausages too..
  • BBQbadge
    BBQbadge Posts: 35
    Options
    DaVinci's is pretty good, it's "Rogers Rd" off of 1-A in Wake Forest. Also, near Cary there is "The Meat House" in the Saltbox Village off Kildaire Farm Rd. which is a "chain" now of butchers starting to pop up around the country. (http://themeathouse.com/locations/index.html). They have some pretty good cuts available too.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I've seen that one in Saltbox many times and keep meaning to pop in to check it out. What I worry about is the $.