Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Fatties

Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Here is my first attempt at fatties.

The fattie in the top of all the photos is savory and is:
2# Maple flavored bacon (woven)
2# Jimmy Dean Regular Sausage
1# Linguica skinned and cut into cubes
2 t ground sage
1 t sea salt
1 t pepper

The fattie in the bottom of all the photos is a sweeter maple flavored:
2# Maple flavored bacon (woven)
2# Jimmy Dean Maple Sausage
2# Maple flavored bacon cut up and cooked till golden
3 T Maple Syrup
2 T Dark Brown Sugar
1/8 t cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 medium nut meg fresh ground
1 t sea salt
1 t pepper
1 t whole anise seeds ground fresh
plus more brown sugar

A few of the raws . . .
Fatties_035.jpg
Medium egg is set up raised and indirect. Smoke wood was pecan. 325º dome.
Fatties_027.jpg
One hour in . . .
Fatties_028.jpg
Two hours in . . .
Fatties_031.jpg
I was curious what the internal was after 2 hours, they were both at 165º. I gave them another 15 minutes and pulled them, 170º on the dot. I was wondering what they weighed so I got out the scales. They are in a recycled styrofoam meat tray covered in foil that weighed 2.10 oz.
Fatties_032.jpg
My 8" chef's knife for scale . . .
Fatties_033.jpg
I covered them with foil and let them rest for an hour while I had dinner.
Fatties_034.jpg
By the time I got to sample them I was so full from dinner I didn't have much interest in fatties. The sweet Maple flavored one I had rubbed the inside of the woven bacon with additional brown sugar and set them both in the frig to see if they would firm up a little and make them easier to handle. The sugar I think acted like salt and was drawing moisture from the fattie and it was leaking juices. Fortunately I discovered this before any harm was done. Next time it will go directly on to the grill. Both fatties are good, the linguica is very mild and almost gets lost in the sausage. It could also use more sage. The anise in the Maple one is almost to strong and could be cut in half probably, I think it went very well with the maple. I will be interested to see how they taste after resting in the frig over night.
Speaking of night, I had a beautiful moon smiling down on me before I was done.
Fatties_030.jpg

Gator

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    wow, that took some patience to weave.
  •  
    Once you get the fattie to stand up straight it goes along pretty fast. :laugh:

Just kidding,

Gator

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I'm not saying a word here. I'm in enough trouble on the forum as is. :(

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
  •  
    Bummer, didn't know you were in trouble, sorry to hear that Bordello. I've seen the wrong side of the entrance to the dog house myself. ;)

Gator

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

First Fatties... now that is surprising.

My cholesterol just went up. :laugh: I think you having way too much fun with that bacon.

However, those sure do look dang good. JD makes a great start for fatties.

Good job.

GG
  •  
    Thanks bobby, actually it's more smoke and mirrors then art. The weave takes a little time but goes on fast once it is all laid out.

Gator

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  •  
    Thanks Kent,

Hahahaha, actually the bacon was the fun part. I varied them slightly to see if I had any preference. The one on top I cut the bacon in half length wise for all the strips. For the bottom one only for half of them. I like the smaller weave of the top one and it didn't take all that much more time. My cholesterol would be through the roof if I hadn't had chicken for dinner, LOL. Later I will get out the FoodSaver and consign most of that to the freezer.

Gator

• Man, that looks awesome! I can hear my cholesterol going up and myself getting fatter through the pics.
  • Thanks Hoss, It was a successful experiment that will be revisited down the road. They weren't perfect but they weren't bad either.

Gator

• Grandpas Grub

I read somewhere that bacon over fattie's is colestoral neutral so don't worry about it.

Other than looks and time was there any other reason you liked the thinner bacon?

Kent
  •  
    Thanks runnin2fire, I got just a little carried away with these . . . just a little. :laugh:

I have enough stuff to make another one but it ain't gonna happen. ;)

Gator

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Gator...Those fatties look amazing!! Love your weave work! ;) More importantly to me anyways... :laugh: ...Love the KDWeigh scale and nice choice in Chefs knife!! Thought I was looking at my own post for a moment there!! :laugh: :woohoo: :whistle::) Nice cook Gator! ;) We WILL see you in March, right?? :blink:
  •  
    Thats great news about bacon over fatties Kent. I'll pass that on to my cardiologist. :woohoo:

No, both weaves were pretty similar, I laid them out on a big tray and then just rolled the fattie up in them and trimmed to fit. I did the two on the same tray at the same time and just covered the first one with plastic film and then another layer of foil to build the next one on. When I had them done I covered all with plastic film and put them in the frig over night. I spent a couple days prepping everything and assembled them today. Kept it real easy.

Gator

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    NO WAY,HECK NO,NOT YOU!I don't believe it.YOU MY BOY,BLUE!Shake off the HATERS,SCROO-EM!I look forward to ALL your posts!!! B)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    why would you think you "were looking at one of your own posts" i have seen no sausage posts with pictures from you in a looooong time. :P

;)B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub

"I laid them out on a big tray and then just rolled the fattie up in them and trimmed to fit."

You had me thinking you were a hero doing all that weaving over a fattie while keeping the shape of the fattie.

You know, if there is a hard way to do something, that's me, I would never have thought of weaving the bacon then rolling the fattie up in it. Guess that's why I am not a world famous inventor.

Kent
  •  
    Hey LC,

Thanks, I've wanted to try fatties for a long time . . . next is Pig Candy!!! LOL.

The weaves are fun, for the amount of time they take they are impressive to look at. I got the scale when you and Bordello were talking about them last summer. It is awesome. All my burgers now are within a few grams of each other. :laugh: The knife I have had for years and I love it dearly. I keep it sharp and it is amazing. I have 3 Shun's that I bought years ago and my friends want them willed to them. LOL.

I wish I could make the fest in March but I'm afraid it doesn't fall within my budget this year. Maybe next year.

Gator

•  
    ROFLMAO, OOPS, my secrets out! I'd be a basket case (pun intended) to do it any other way. LOL. I thought the ends might be a little challenging but I just folded the top edge down to cover the whole end and took a pair of shears to it. Snip, snip, a little push here, a little push there and they fit like a glove. I had a very sharp knife so precision trimming was a cinch. You can lay the top crust for a pie out the same way on a piece of paper and then slide it onto the top of the pie after you weave it. A little trim, a little push and it looks great.

I bet your a world class inventor Kent, maybe just not of fattie weaves . . . yet! ;)

Gator

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Gator, Great post!

I must say it surprised me to see a bacon wrapped fattie on your post! For some reason I was thinking you were a little more health conscience. Then when Kent give you the green light I knew I wanted on this band wagon! :silly:

Well I should talk. You all will have to call me 22Fategghead if I don't change my habits.

I think you will like the pig candy. Are you going to use brown sugar and cayenne or DP PH?

To beat everything I am planning to have my butcher friend grind up some of the trimmings off my three slabs of spare ribs that I did not cook and I was going to make my first fattie soon as well!

I have enjoyed your post as always. Tim
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Well Done...TKS for sharing the recipe & the comments
  •  
    Hey Tim,

Thanks, I am a lot more health conscious then this LOL, but my alter ego takes over and likes to play.

Hahahaha, Kent's green light may have a very red hue the closer you get to sea level. Caution is advised.

I can sympathize with any weight issues, I quit smoking last April and have put on about 35-40 pounds since then. Believe me, most of these fatties are headed for the freezer. It may be time to pay a visit to the Weight Lose Forum although it can be awful quiet over there.

For the Pig Candy I will use brown sugar and a little cayenne. Nothing against DP, it's a matter of budget and what I have on hand.

Looking forward to seeing your fatties, Tim, we're all going to hell with a fattie in our hands and we may as well go in good company. :lol:

Have a great day,

Gator

•  
    Good morning Beli, Thank you Sir, I hope you have a great day.

Gator

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Gator, I quit smoking about 14 years ago. I guess I traded one bad habit for another. I still don't breath as good as I did when I was a teenager. Well I could complain about a lot of other things as well but then I would be whining. It may be safe to say if every one's power supply for their computer was a tread mill we would all be skinny. :lol: Tim
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    They look fabulous!!! You were busy! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    Congrats on quitting!!!! WOOHOOO!!!! I quit, cold turkey, 5 years ago. I smoked for 25 years. That hand to mouth habit was the hardest to control. Especially being a cook. That's when I started excercing. :( ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  •  
    Hey Tim, I never dreamed I was giving up such a great apatite supressant! I didn't quit for health reasons, I quit for budget reasons. When my beloved Camels got to almost $50 a carton I had to concede that they were no longer affordable.

If our computers were conected to tread mills how many of us do you think would be on line? Make mine an exercise bike, thank you. :lol:

Gator

•  
    Hi Molly,

I quit cold turkey and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I think I figured I had smoked for 42 years. Congratulations on the five years! I'll be happy when I have been five years. Boy are you ever right about that hand to mouth thing, a straight jacket would come in handy about now. I'm going to start working on my bike, it has had a flat tire for way to long and needs a good cleaning up.

Gator

• cookn biker
    I bought a bike. I find with this excersie thing I need variety to stay with it. Gym, running, hiking, biking and yoga does it for me. :) I took up gum chewig also. B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"