Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burst of flames when first opening after heat up

Options
David
David Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
[p] When starting my Egg, I often get a hugh flame when first opening the Egg after letting it temp up. Any suggestions to eliminate this?

Comments

• David, open SLOWLY, babe. Or else you'll be missing eyebrows and arm hair. When this "explosion" happens, your coals are red-hot, but they are not getting "maximum air." When you open the lid quickly, the air suddenly hits the red-hot lump, thereby yielding a "flash-back." This does not happen when your lump is at a lower temperature. Be careful....this is the only real safety issue with BGEs, and the issue exists mainly with newbies who have not yet discovered this phenomenon.

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Options
    David,[p]You might want to visit the Naked Whiz site for some info on this.

[ul][li]Flashback![/ul]
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    David,
    I have no hair on my right forearm. A tru sign of an Egger.
    I ALWAYS make sure to 'burp' Mr. Egg when I open it. ie open it just a half inch or so a couple of times then open it slowly all the way. How many battle worn Eggers are out there?

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    David,
    Try this little test. Wait til nightfall and fill your Egg up with fresh lump and light. Leave green cap off and bottom vent wide open. When the temp. hits about 600* or flames are coming out the top, close the bottom vent and replace daisy wheel. Wait two minutes. Wearing a protective glove, remove green cap first then step back and slide open the bottom vent. You will most likely hear a dull "whoosh" and see flames shoot out the top. Its merely the EGG's way of taking in a breath of fresh air after being suffocated for so long. This is also a demonstration of FLASHBACK. When the flames die down, it is safe to open the EGG. The ONLY sure fire way to prevent burning yourself is to open the bottom vent fully and listen (in the daytime) or see the flashback burn away the built up vapors. If the charcoal has burned considerably, is leftover from a prior cook or is operating at a low temp, only then would I attempt to "burp" the Egg without opening the bottom vent. However, I usually just play it safe and open top and bottom vent before opening. I have yet to burn myself even once in over my four years of Egg ownership. Mac

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    You my friend are good, I always seam to be in to big a hurry and never think of opening all the vents before I open the lid. Happens to me most of corse when I am searin steaks
    I have no hair on my right arm at all
    cause of them pesky flashbacks
    I thought that it was all part of the adventure of cookin out on my BGE and that you are suppose to always smell like smoke and singed hair;~}
    Glenn

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Glenn,[p]Glad I could help. If you try my demo, do it at night. Pretty cool! Have a great Easter! Mac