Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked deviled eggs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Awhile back someone posted a recipe for smoking boiled eggs and then making deviled eggs with them. Anyone remember how long to smoke the eggs?

Comments

• RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Options
    noletrain,[p]200 degrees for 90 min. Rince after smoking.[p]RayS

• RayS,Thanks. Was that your recipe? I've done them before when it was posted and everyone really liked them.

• RayS
    Options
    noletrain,[p]That is from the posted recipe from some time ago.[p]Here is the recipe. I think it was posted by Chuck.[p]I boil and peel two dozen eggs, roll three in rub, place them all on an inverted plate setter covered in foil and smoke
    them at 200* or less, with a combination of apple and orange chips for about 90 minutes. Chop up the three rubbed
    ones along with the other yolks and use your favorite recipe from there. I use mayo, dry mustard, worchester,
    vinegar and usually a little more rub. [p]Also I usually rinse off the eggs after smoking them, it cleans them up a bit. They look pretty much like a brown egg.

• RayS, pardon my ignorance, but what flavor does this yield? I presume it injects a smokey flavor in the eggs, but is there some other benefit I'm overlooking? Thanks.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    RayS, I did these last year, they were GREAT.I do not recall who posted it.The hard boiled ones were heavily coated with guilded splinters (but raging river or similar would work well).Smoke at 180 for one hour. chop up the coated eggs and reserve.Now split the remaining eggs and add the yolks to the chopped guilded splinters eggs.Save the smoked whites for later filling. add mayo, relish, mustard, salt and 1 tlbspoon more of rub to the yolk and mix it up, then fill the eggs with the mixture.Mine were not brown at all and the had a nice, very different, smokey flavor. HTH

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    eggs1.jpg
    <p />noletrain,[p]RayS posted the way that I do them. Although I posted it here the recipe came from a fellow posting as Reg on the BBQ forum. They are very good, hopefully you will enjoy them. The only addition to the recipe Ray posted that I would now add is to only rinse the eggs with no rub. Believe it or not someone I gave the recipe to actually rinsed the rub off. I guess I should be more specific.[p]Have a great Easter.[p]Chuck
  • RayS
    Options
    Bill-the-Grill,[p]I've never tried this deviled egg recipe, but have smoked eggs using this method. The out come is like any other food that has been smoked. The eggs will take on the flavour of the wood smoke that you use. Give it a try. The worst you can loss is the cost of a dozen eggs. [p]RayS