Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Failed Spares

Options
AIM BBQ
AIM BBQ Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Attempted my first rib cook (spares)with the egg yesterday and turned out horrible. Luckily the flavor was excellent because there was plenty of chewing to do. I followed the 3-2-1 method and not my normal for my log burner. On the positive the egg held a steady 250 for the entire cook with no adjustments. Still love my new egg just a minor learning curve. Lesson learned.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    most mistakes with spares is pulling them too early
  • AIM BBQ
    Options
    Exactly what I did.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    You'll learn as you go (though it sounds like you have experience using an offset smoker), that cooking this way is less about time (e.g. 3-2-1), and more about temperature and texture. While it's hard to get a good temp read from ribs, you want to look for the meat receding from the bones by about an inch, and for the racks to easily bend when picked up.

Good luck with your next cook,

-John
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I usually leave them on for the first 3 hours without opening and then spritz every 20-3- minutes for the next 2-3. Sauce last hour. Total cooking time 5 1/2-6 1/2 hours.
  • AIM BBQ
    Options
    I cooked 6 full slabs untrimmed so should have known better when I put them on the egg for the last hour. The meat pulled about 3/4 of an inch but just did not have enough time to tenderize.
  • BamaEGG
    BamaEGG Posts: 170
    Options
    I used to always 3-2-1 but for some reason they when they came out of the foil I thought they were too done. The bones would almost be falling out of the meat.

My last few cooks I have gone 3 hours at 225 then spritzed every 30 minutes for 2 hours then switched to direct for an hour at 300 to finish them with sauce flipping every 10 -15 minutes. THe texture seems much better to me and I really love the smoke flavor with some good bark from the sauce.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    AIM BBQ, Sorry to hear that. You will do better next time. Tim
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Just a suggestion for your next rib cooks. You know when they're done when you pick them up by one end, and they break, or bend under their own weight...

DSCN2980.jpg
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    You may want to adjust your cooking temp and keep your set cooking times intact. Bump up to 275 and try again.

You will get them dialed in, keep working with them.

We cook at 300 with shorter time lines.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• AIM BBQ
    Options
    I usually cook ribs on my offset at 300 and do well with the time I cooked yesterday. Next time I think I will use my proven methods, just on the egg.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    So far, the best ribs I ever ate were at a restaurant in Detroit (not a typo). The worst ribs I ever ate were the two times I cooked them on the egg. WAY too dry the first time. Sauce sucked the second time. Oh and then there was the time (pre-egg) I tried to duplicate the rub from Rendezvous in Memphis (Hoss, their ribs were dry, but I liked their rub). Those were inedible.

Sorry yours didn't work out, but it sounds like you actually know what you're doing and just need practice with the egg. Me? I need someone else to cook them. I don't do ribs.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    All I know about spare ribs is that I trim them up and cook them in two layers indirect 240° at the cooking grid and about half way into the cook I reduced the grid temp by 10° and I cooked them dry no sauce no foil and I used a tooth pick and picked them up and flexed them to check for tenderness. When I pulled them I loosely wrapped them in foil for 20 minutes. Now for me and my company we loved them with sauce on the side if desired. Tim

Here was my cook.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=803528&catid=1