Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injected and Wrapped Pork Butts - Dr. BBQ Style

KMagnus
KMagnus Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got my BGE @ 2009 Eggtoberfest and won the 4-set of Dr. BBQ's cookbooks. These Boston Butts were cooked using the subject recipe from the 'Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook'.

Started by injecting both with Big Pig Pork Injection

Next, I liberally coated both with Big-Time Barbecue Rub

I let them chill out in the fridge before placing them into my large BGE stabilized at 235. The dome temp varied between 235 and 250 during the main cooking time, but I pulled them after 9 hours (approximately 160F), wrapped them in foil and returned them for another 3 hours. Here they were before I pulled and wrapped.

Pulled them at 195F internal, wrapped them in another layer of foil, then towels and put them in a cooler since I finished ahead of schedule. I pulled them from the cooler and pulled after 3 hours, but only have pictures after unwrapping since my SD card maxed out and I didn't have time to unload/reload.

The meat was the juiciest, tenderest I've ever cooked. I'll continue trying different methods and recipes, but this one goes down in the keeper column for me.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    KMagnus, Sounds like you had a great time smoking you butt. Your post goes along like you have pic's but I don't see any. Anyway i'm glad you had a successful cook and keep posting. :) Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    KMagnus, Here is a post on how to post pic's on this forum using http://photobucket.com/. :) Tim

How to post a picture on the forum from Photobucket - http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=687889&catid=1
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Congrats! Glad you enjoyed the recipe.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • KMagnus
    Sorry - I used the HTML link instead of the IMG - only my second time posting pics and I 'though' I remembered.

Got my BGE @ 2009 Eggtoberfest and won the 4-set of Dr. BBQ's cookbooks. These Boston Butts were cooked using the subject recipe from the 'Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook'.

Started by injecting both with Big Pig Pork Injection

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

Next, I liberally coated both with Big-Time Barbecue Rub
    IMG_1145.jpg

I let them chill out in the fridge before placing them into my large BGE stabilized at 235. The dome temp varied between 235 and 250 during the main cooking time, but I pulled them after 9 hours (approximately 160F), wrapped them in foil and returned them for another 3 hours. Here they were before I pulled and wrapped.

IMG_1153.jpg

Pulled them at 195F internal, wrapped them in another layer of foil, then towels and put them in a cooler since I finished ahead of schedule. I pulled them from the cooler and pulled after 3 hours, but only have pictures after unwrapping since my SD card maxed out and I didn't have time to unload/reload.

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

The meat was the juiciest, tenderest I've ever cooked. I'll continue trying different methods and recipes, but this one goes down in the keeper column for me.
  • KMagnus
    Thanks for the link! Looks like the re-post has the pics I intended in the first post.
  • KMagnus
    Easy to follow - good choice of ingredients - what's not to like when you end up with lip smackin' goodness when all is said and done!
  • 2Fategghead
    Glad to help and I enjoyed your pic's. Looks like another great success story. Tim