Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

40 degree difference?

Teach42Teach42 Posts: 218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm doing a brisket tonight. Dome is precisely at 250. Since I want to spend some time in bed tonight, I dropped a wireless probe down through the top.

The strange thing is that the probe says 294.

Now, I know that they shoe wouldn't be exactly the same, but doesn't that seem to be TOO off? I calibrated the dome therm a while ago, so I don't THINK it's gone awry.

But does that make any sense, that there would be a 45 degree difference?
·

Comments

• Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Teach...How far down the dome did you drop the thermometer? 45* seems a bit extreme
    ·
  • Teach42Teach42 Posts: 218
    Not sure how to measure that, but I'd say it's hanging about 6-9 inches above the meat.

Just to throw into the mix, I fergot that I have an instant read surface therm. So I just checked the cast iron grate, and it reads 275.

Can't remember whether the grate should be warmer or colder than the dome, but mine is right in between the two!
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

The lump that is glowing red or orange is about 1,200°

You dome thermometer, which you should have calibrated sometime reciently, is erading 250°. As your remote moves from the hot lump to the position of the dome thermometer you are going to see a temperature change between those two numbers.

Dome to grate at fire ring height can easily be 40° difference. On a low and slow that could decrease to about 25° difference.

BTW don't let the probe wires get much hotter than 400° or they could be damaged.

Cook to food temperature.

GG
    ·
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

If you don't verify calibration of your thermometers, all of them, you will drive yourself nuts.

GG
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Smoke a Fattie,It'll all be GOOOO-OOOD! ;)
    ·
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    :laugh: ;)
    ·
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    Advice taken. LOL.
    ·
    Now get a quadruple Latte B)
    ·
  • Teach42Teach42 Posts: 218
    LoL. Smoke a fattie and all is good in the world, eh?

Well, net result is that before I went to sleep, the dome said 250, the probe through the top said 290 and the grate said 244. When I woke up, I checked the temp in the flat, and it's currently at 183, so everything is chugging along perfectly.

Will definitely check some calibration later. But until then... mmmmmmmmm...... brisket......
    ·
    Mine was off about 70 degrees on Friday while doing beef ribs. I calibrate every couple months.

My TelTru's should be here Tue or Wed. :)
    ·