Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck Hunt - Hoss and Ripnem

Options
Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Hoss and Adam,

First time hunting since before Christmas. Still a few patches of ice in the shaded areas - last weekend they said it was 1.5-2" thick.

Slow hunt today. We only got 3 small groups to even look and then each time the neighbors shot at something before we got more than one look from the ducks. VERY frustrating!

We each did shoot at fast-flying ducks that the neighbor had shot at seconds before - sorta desperation shots.

We had flocks and flocks of snow/blue geese fly over us for a measured 45 minutes - most geese either of us had every seen - too high to shoot, even though we both "gave it a try". :laugh:

Anyway, Ralph had to leave early so as we were packing and I was unloading my gun 4 gadwalls made a low pass and turned. Raplh's gun was in the case in the boat and I only had 2 shells, but when they dropped into the whole I took the lead drake, swung on the other one and 'click' - the shell had not completely ejected!
Ralph hollered 'quick, shoot the cripple" which I did when he cleared the decoys . I didn't realize I had shot 2 drakes with my one shot !
22035_1326668173181_1425227104_3093.jpg
At least we didn't get "busted". :woohoo: :woohoo:
We didn't think our other party got any shooting, but they were at the launch when we returned about 8:45. They had shot 2 limits by 7:45! D#@&m !

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That sounds like a half decent day. ;)

Never....I say Never, unload that thing till you legally have to. :P

That is exactly how it always goes. Pick'en up and then they come. I keep mine on my shoulder when collecting decoys.

Nice true double! I've had 3 or 4 on ducks and my little brother had one on Roosters :huh: that was amazing.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Adam,
    I had ejected the one in the chamber, but was leaving 2 in the magazine for the boat ride out. Might jump something or have a compulsion to kill some d@3%m nutria or muskrats.

Anyway, when the first bird came down she spooked a little when i hit the button to kick one from the magazine to chamber it. The other 3 ducks made one more circle, then dropped in the hole - SWEET !

Made a nice finish for a bad day (was starting to drizzle rain as we were leaving).

Look at "olemissrn" posting - that's my SIL in Arkansas. Nice hunt and cook!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I'm feelin the PAIN!Not a single Quacker on either of our spots!!! :( :angry:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    What a crappy year! And they all said there were more ducks this year than the last several!
  • olemissrn
    Options
    The ducks just "showed up" here in Arkansas. I have seen more ducks the last couple of days, then the whole season. We have had several "limited out" days this week. Hopefully they will make it to yall before the season ends.

Good shot on the "double".

I still think they should start the season in Mid December and run till mid Feb.

Good Luck!
  • Ripnem
    Options
    I know one thing for sure, you guys, and thats that everything has been delayed by 2-3 weeks this entire year. From ice off to ice on, to corn in to corn out, to the ducks showing up, to the birds hatching and on and on like that.

That would put at least the ducks behind for you. Most likely :ermm:
  • Ripnem
    Options
    See, now that is exactly what I'm saying. Things are behind this year.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Chris, that's great to hear! You guys have worked hard this year, so you surely deserve to have a great week.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    Here in South Dakota there was some decent hunting of local ducks but I really haven't seen the big migrating flocks coming down from the North. Maybe they all froze to death?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My vote-Jan,1-March,1.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options