Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

MickeyT rings have landed Down Under!

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
G'day all,[p]I received a set of MickeyT rings for my large Egg this week, thanks to our friend Mick T. I can't wait to try them out this long weekend - does anyone have tips to get the most out of them? e.g. what size rings for what temps, position of bottom vent etc. Cheers, and thanks again Mick![p]Jake

Comments

• BordersBorders Posts: 665
    Aussie Jake, Sweet. Nothing like getting a package of ingenuity from the US of A. As we speak I'm using the rings on a low/slow on my large egg. I've only had mine for a couple of months, and I'm no expert. However, what I really like is using the #1-#3 rings for slow cooks. Mick suggested I keep the bottom vent wide open, and I usually do. When I go to sleep, I leave it about 1/2 open, just for safety. This seems to have no effect on the dome temp.[p]I think ambient temps, and the dome temp when you put the rings on affect your controlled temps. For instance, if the grill gets settled in at 275, even the #1 ring wont get you to 200, unless it's cool outside and you have lots of time.[p]FYI, I have an established fire going(7 hours), using #1 ring and it's about 70 degrees out. My dome temp is steady at 225.[p]I've done chicken a couple of times and find #7 puts me at about 350.[p]That's the extent of my knowledge. Good luck. [p]Scott[p][p][p][p]
  • BunkyRubBunkyRub Posts: 52
    Aussie Jake,
    What is a Mickey T ring??? Does it help control temp? Thanks.

• SmokeySmokey Posts: 2,468
    Aussie Jake,[p]Had rings for a while now. I tend to use the 4, 5, 6 most often and although I could use them for all cooking, I really to only use them for low n slow cooks. [p]Mickey also made some rings for my mini egg and I love them. I use the mini for grilling allot, but I smoked a 2.5 lb butt several weeks ago. it was great! Now the mini can be use as a smoker as well. Maybe ribs this afternoon ... wife is out with the girls!![p]Smokey

• BeerMikeBeerMike Posts: 224
    Aussie Jake,
    I am interested in seeing these rings. Can someone post a picture of them?[p]Thanks,[p]BeerMike

• SethSeth Posts: 79
    Aussie Jake,
    I leave the bottom door wide open when I use the rings. #3 usually does me pretty good for low and slow, unless it is winter and then I tend to use a 4 or a 5. Start out with a small fire and a full load of lump and put on a #3 and see where that gets you. Should put you near 250*, and you can work from there. I love the rings.
    Seth