Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thawing a brisket

Options
Teach42
Teach42 Posts: 219
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on smoking a brisket tonight, but didn't take it out of the freezer until last night. Planning on running it under cold water for a few hours, but curious to hear your thoughts about how much I need to do it.

Is it ok if it's still a little frozen in the middle when I put it on?

What worries me is I want to get the rub on there at least 3 or 4 hours on before I smoke it so it has some time to penetrate, and I still need to trim it down a bit.

So any strategy suggestions?

Comments

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    I spent 3 days last April with World Champion Mike Mills at his 17th St Bar & Grill. One of the things he showed me was that anytime they couldn't get something thawed in time it went on frozen. To prove his point he put frozen butts, briskets, ribs and chicken on the racks right next to the thawed ones. The next day (except chicken) he served it in blind boxes to see if we could tell the difference. We couldn't. The frozen butts and briskets didn't take more than 45 minutes longer than the thawed ones. There was no difference in time on the ribs and chicken.
  • Teach42
    Teach42 Posts: 219
    Options
    Right on!! That's fantastic to hear. So I'll defrost it as much as I can, but still leave myself plenty of time to let the rub soak in.

Greatly appreciate the feedback.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Once the outside starts to get soft the rub and smoke will start to soak in.