Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing hot platesetter - is it safe?

Options
Mainne
Mainne Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone :)

Just got a Big Green Egg and absolutely love it!

I'm looking to show it off to some relatives tomorrow to my relatives and wil be doing 5 hour slow cooked ribs as an entree.

Obviously the plate setter will in place for the ribs.

Once the ribs have been snaffled, I'll be looking to cook some scoth fillets using the Trex method. This is how steaks should be cooked in my opinion!.

In relation to removing the hot platesetter - what would be the best way to do this. Is it also ok to remove the platsetter and put it aside to cool?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

• WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I use a pair of welding gloves to remove my platesetter when its hot, and set it on something non-combustable or high temp resistive.
    I agree, there is nothing better than a T-Rex steak.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Mainne, Welcome to the forum. I have carefully placed the hot plate setter on bricks out of the way so I could cook direct and my plate setter never broke. You might consider having a designated place ahead of time with something there to set it on. I must admit when I did this in the past I would place the plate setter back in the egg if it was still hot when I was finished. Tim
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I've asked this same question. Probably not much danger for the plate setter. Just be careful not to get burnt. There should be a tool for it, but most everyone uses gloves.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Welding gloves is the way to go. I've picked mine up off a 400 degree cook before with no problems.You just need to know where your going to set it once you picked it up and dont hold it but a few seconds. Also make sure you have a good pair of welding gloves thats thick enough. I deal with hot steel everyday at work so I'm pretty comfortable moving hot things with gloves. A 250 degree stone with good thick gloves , you could probably get by with 5 or 6 seconds but the hotter stones will need to be moved in a couple seconds.
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    I use 2 old oven mitts, but the best advice that everyone has passed is to know where you are going with it and to do it quickly, I have a metal table on the deck and let it rest there, then put it back in the egg when done. You'll love the ribs :woohoo:
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    I have always been worried about thermal shock or whatever to the p/s when it's really hot. Have had to move it hot several times but it's always made me nervous. Good to know lots of folks here do it all the time.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    No it is not safe but you can do it safely. Be sure you have gloves that will keep the heat away long enough to pick it up[ and place it somewhere out of the way. There is nothing worse than getting halfway there only to realize the gloves were not sufficient. Also, be sure that any guests - especially children - understand that it is hot and will remain hot for quite a few minutes.
  • Sevenrats
    Options
    If you're doing low and slow the plate setter isn't really very hot. It's hot, but not very. Have a place to put it ready and use some thick mitts. Shut the vents completely for a few minutes to kill the coals a little then go for it. The biggest risk is the hot lump underneath.

Then you can add lump if you need to and let'er rip for your steaks.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Ok your question is taken care of. Now what is scoth fillets?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• FearlessGrill
    Options
    I have a slightly different approach. I have a sturdy pair of tongs, and I use those to move the PS. I slide the tongs underneath from the side, trying to grip as close to the center as I can get. I support the weight with the tongs and balance it with a gloved hand. Doing it this way, the glove doesn't heat up since you're not tightly gripping the PS with the glove. I typically put it on top of my gas grill until it cools.

-John
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

I second all the advice here. The one thing I would add is that it is amazing how long that plate setter will retain heat. Don't just assume that after a few minutes it can be touched. I broke my Large plate setter on Christmas day last year. I had pulled it off and it had been sitting around for some time. I then reached down bare handed to put it back on. As soon as I started to lift it I realized what a stupid mistake I had made. I then lowered it very quickly to the driveway and dropped it the last inch or so. It broke into three pieces. Fortunately, I was able to use my Medium BGE to do the bread.

Freddie
    League City, TX