Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Dizzy Pig Rub for Ribs on Saturday

Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My son is flying in from Philadelphia and he and my grandsons will be coming over for the day. I want to impress him with my LGBE, he hasn't seen it yet. I am trying to get him involved. I am planning on the recipe in the BGE recipe book that calls for cooking indirect at 350 for 1.5 hrs and then foil and cook for another hr. I want to try a Dizzy Pig rub and maybe some hickory. I did spatchcocked chicken last night with JD rub and chips and probably got a little to much smoke on them for my taste. Want to lighten it up for the sons. Suggestions?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hungry in Lilburn,

Most folks do their ribs at 250* - 275*. Some use foil and some don't. Babybacks are normally a 5-6 hour cook at those temps and side ribs are 6-7 hours. Dizzy dust is good if you want to avoid spice and swamp venom is good if you don't.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hungry,

First, poultry absorbs smoke much easier that other meats. I either use no chips or just a few pecan chips when cooking chicken or turkey.

Second, if you want to really impress your family with ribs, get some fresh baby backs (Sams or Costco are good places) and follow Carwash Mike's instructions on the link below. They will be outstanding (no foiling with this technique).

Baby Back Rib Class

Good luck and post your pics!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    or mix the two together...when I do ribs or butts I usually mix 2-3 rubs until I get one I like...the problem is I never measure so the next time I don't remember what or how much I mixed... :woohoo: :S
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Nah stick with the spares as they have more meat and more flavor and if foiling is ok for the pros it is ok for us regular folks... :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I have tried a lot of different DP rubs on ribs and can't say any were less than great.

Dizzy Dust, Raising the Steaks, Raging River, Swamp Venom are all good. The first two are always safe bets.

350° is a faster cook but I would think turn out well. I usually cook ribs at 250° and they are done somewhere between 3 and 6 hours.

Here is how mine turned out.
    ribswet1.jpg
    If you are going to cook at that heat be watchful of burning.

Cook to temperature and or tenderness not to time.

I don't foil ribs like many others do.

If you want a great rib cook follow CarWash Mike's Rib Class instructions which can be found on Thrideye's site. At least take a look at the writeup.
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

GG
  • ribs look great!!! make me hungry!!
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Those look super, Kent.

HiL, take it from these experienced eggers and do a low-n-slow with your ribs. I'll add my voice to those praising Dizzy Dust on ribs, it's excellent. You can't go wrong with John Henry Pecan, either.
  • Never tried DD on ribs, but like Jeffersonian I love them with John Henry Pecan Rub.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    I did DD St. Louis 3-1-1 spares the other day, wrapping them with butter, brown sugar and honey for an hour or so and they were super.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I agree with the John Henry Pecan rub people. I give my ribs a good coating of it and smoke them at 250 using sassafras chunks. I spritz every hour with a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and apple cider. After 3 hrs I test for doneness by picking then up length-wise with my tongs. If they bend and crack in the middle, they are done.
  • tsunami spin is my fav!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I would say Dizzy Dust...but Saturday ribs..always..and I mean ALWAYS...get a dose of Ragin River....Enjoy, which ever you use... :)
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Don't believe any of us, experiment for yourself. I did extensive "research" on all of the DP rubs. Every time I did more than one rack of ribs I would do a head-to-head contest with the winner advancing to the next round. From the semi-finals forward the contest was double-elimination.

My biased results for ribs were:

1. Red eye express (I know that I am the only one saying this but come on, look at my research)
    2. Swamp Venom (my wife's favorite even though she does not normally like things too spicy)
    3. Raging River Rub
    4. Dizzy Dust

Head-to-head contest of baby backs versus spares was not even close...SPARES TASTE BETTER!!!

Moral of the story...everyone has different tastes, so experiment to find your favorite. If you cook them correctly they will be the best you and your guests have ever had no matter which rub you use.
  • I am going to try the Carwash Mike receipe next weekend with my inlaws. Thanks for the advice!
  • LOL! Thanks Kim. I am using the recipe out of the book. My wife thinks it looks pretty easy and she already bought the ingridents. Are you from Vidalia? I am originally from Baxley. Grew up eating those onions straight out of the dirt like apples! Thanks.
  • Thanks. Time will be of the essence today. I work nights (obviously why I am on here at 0213) and will need to sleep a little in the am and then get up and get my cook on. 6 hours would put me way to late in the day since I will need to feed the herd around 1730. Will try CWM method next weekend it I don't try it for myself during the week. Thanks.
  • I do love brown sugar!
  • I may actually cook all three racks with different rubs and serve them up as samplers. However, if they are to good my son has warned me that my 12 yo grandson can eat a rack by himself! And he is so thin he looks like big bird! My son can eat a half rack and I can do damage to a half rack. Maybe I should cook some fatties and wings and serve as appetizers? LOL! :woohoo: