Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should the egg have come with...

Options
nowonder
nowonder Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so I got my first Egg (large) back in Sept. My lovely wife surprised me with it for my birthday. It was delivered assembled with nest, ready to go. Things are good.

So my questions, I'm going to be picking up a pizza stone soon, and I've seen a lot of people here using the plate setter, the egg feet, and the stone on top of that. Should the egg have come with the feet? mine didn't. Are they sold seperatly? Also, many pictures here have a ceramic cap for the top of the egg, mine didn't have that either... Should it have? Is it worth buying?

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    At one point in its history, it was decided to ship without feet. However, since so many people on the forum pointed out various uses for the feet, they resumed shipping with feet. That was several years ago. They should be included in the same box that has the rain cap so maybe somehow the distributor (or dealer) just left that box behind.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    and yes, you should have gotten a ceramic cap for the top. That is the best way to shut down the charcoal.

Go to your dealer and get the feet and the cap.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I ask my dealer to buy an extra 3 feet and he produced a box and gave me 3 feet.
    Try asking, may get lucky.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Yes you should get the rain cap and three feet. Call or go and ask for them.

I got three feet with my large and I purchased three extra. To top that I went to a hearth and grill shop that no longer carries the BGE and ask if they had left over feet for sale and they gave me four. So now i'm rolling in feet. :silly: Tim
  • Geo
    Geo Posts: 53
    Options
    I am an Egg dealer and the feet and cap come in a box packed inside the Main Egg box. On very rare occasions the box was not packed with the Egg. Your dealer should have those items for you.
  • rib rangler
    Options
    i use the plate setter with the cooking grid and set the pizza stone on top of the grid, i think it helps from over heating the stone and keeps from burning.
  • rib rangler
    Options
    sorry , yes the egg should of come with both feet and rain cap
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I purchased a showroom model that was already assembled. The dealer did not have the feet under the egg as part of the display. I asked him about feet and he said he would get me some before I left. After I reminded him, he pulled out a box full of feet and gave me three. Seems like some dealers forget to include the feet routinely. You probably just need to go to the dealer and ask.
  • nowonder
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Guessing it was an oversite. I'm heading back to the dealer tonight to get a pizza stone, so I'll ask about them then.

--nw
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    That's what happened to nowonder's feet
  • nowonder
    Options
    I talked to my dealer. He claims that, since I bought the nest, it doesn't come with feet or a ceramic cap. Smells like a whole lot of bull to me. I told him that wasn't the experience of others on the "internet", and he said wrong.

So he has lost my business from now on. Even if this is the case, he didn't exactly try to help. I guess I'll give up.

--nw
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I'd give the dealer one more shot to make it right, and maybe back it up with an email from the customer service folks at BGE HQ.

You should have received the ceramic cap and the feet. No question. They are standard issue with the large egg.
  • Purpose
    Purpose Posts: 91
    Options
    Agreed.

But I think you should lodge the complaint either way. Your distributor is giving the company a bad name.

The nest is an accessory that is purchased in addition to the egg. In other words, one should have no bearing on the contents of the other.

I just purchased a medium egg and received both the feet and the rain cap.

Given what an egg costs, you shouldn't have to deal with a shady dealer as well.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    nowonder,

They are usually packed in the box with the rain cap. If you bought it assembled he has taken them out.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    If you can call Customer service at Big Green Egg (770)938-9394 do so. If you have to leave a message do so and they will call you back just leave your cell number so you don't have to sit around the phone be patient and you will get this resolved. Tim
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Options
    All of my customers buying new eggs get the feet and the cap. it does not matter if it comes in nest or not.
    you should still get the feet and the cap. go to the owner and talk to them, maybe he will make it right
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Call him back and tell him you are going to return the egg since it did not come with the parts that YOU paid for. The ceramic cap and feet are included with a large egg. Always has.
  • how does the nest negate the need for a cap?
    what a schtool.

might have him check with the distributor. I don't understand why he wouldn't just give them to you anyway.