Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie to the BGE

Snork
Snork Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just signed up and wanted to say hello to everyone on the site. I have found a ton of information, and find it very resourceful.

I bought the Large Egg New Years Eve, and have cooked on it 4 times already and love it. I have never cooked with anything but gas for the last 14 years, but I am finding my way with lump. All cooks have been fairly low temp, except for a beer can chicken, have yet to use the grilling feature. My next plan is to do a pizza, I am interested in advice on the setup. I was planning on using the plate setter legs down, the ceramic feet for spacers and the pizza stone on top. What size stone do you recommend? I have heard to use the bigger stone for the large. Thanks for the info and advice.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Your setup is good on the pizza. Use the BGE size Large stone on a Large egg.
    Welcome aboard!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Welcome! You've landed at a great place...every one of these people will help fuel the "addiction". Count on that.

LBGE Pizza stone will do the job. Too big and your lid won't close.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Hello Snork, Congratulations on your new egg.

You have had the egg 15 days and only cooked on it 4 times, is the egg broke or something? Just kidding...

As for pizza stones, don't get a Pampered Chef stone there has been a lot of breakage of the PC stones. We have have great results with the BGE or other 'thicker' stones.

Welcome to the foum, GG
  • G Fitz
    G Fitz Posts: 16
    Here is a setup that works well. I have upgraded to a thicker BGE stone since this picture.
    4276236351_d1b5b7d691_s.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Snork, Welcome to the forum. The large BGE baking/pizza stone is the way to go. I have seen where some use parchment paper as an aid in baking their pies. I'm sure you will get a lot of fine advice. :) Tim
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Welcome aboard!
  • Welcome to the forum. You will find a ton of great information here. I have profited from it greatly.

I hope the pizza turns out well. I have not done one on my egg, but I have made bread and breadsticks. They turned out well.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Welcome aboard!

The advice I was given was to buy the BGE pizza stone because it would not crack (neither of mine have). A lot of times you can buy the Eggcessory for less and have the same quality by not buying BGE. Apparently not with the pizza stone.

Whatever you do, make sure it is not too big. Just because it fits does not make it right. For example, my large pizza stone fits on my Medium Egg. I never use it that way. It would not leave enough air flow and with the high temps of a pizza you would do damage to your gasket.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    Snork, welcome to the forum and all the good people and good advice available here. If you are concerned about your first pizza cook, just give me a shout; I'll be happy to come over and do a quality control check on them. This is not a job for amateurs, you know.

Uglydog
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Welcome to the forum!! Like the above posts said be sure to use a BGE pizza stone. I haven't taken the time to learn how to do pizza dough from scratch but I use Boboli and I use a platesetter (legs down), the 3 little BGE feet on top of the platesetter and then the pizza stone on top of that. I cook the pizza like the package says, 450 degrees. Be sure to let the egg get to temp and wait about an hour. I always use parchment paper too. I don't open the egg when I check on the pizza I just lift the DFMT off and peak in. Good luck!!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Welcome to the forum!! Like the above posts said be sure to use a BGE pizza stone. I haven't taken the time to learn how to do pizza dough from scratch but I use Boboli and I use a platesetter (legs down), the 3 little BGE feet on top of the platesetter and then the pizza stone on top of that. I cook the pizza like the package says, 450 degrees. Be sure to let the egg get to temp and wait about an hour. I always use parchment paper too. I don't open the egg when I check on the pizza I just lift the DFMT off and peak in. Good luck!!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    That's the perfect setup. Preheat stone as soon as you light the egg for 45 mins. 450-500 degrees is all you need.

pizza01.jpg
  • Welcome and congratulations on your new egg.
    Have fun.The more you use your egg the more you won't use your kitchen stove.The food is that much better.
    Enjoy!
  • Snork
    Snork Posts: 15
    Hey guys,

It Has been cold in Minnesota so that has hampered me from using it more. I tend to freeze my tail off lighting and regulating temps. It is going to be in the mid 20's this weekend, so I am going to try beef ribs. So far all has been great on the egg. I am impressed with the heat holding and everything I have read about it is true. Any eggfests close to Minneapolis? I will try to get a picture of my table on the site here shortly. Thanks again
  • Welcome to the only way to GRILL/SMOKE/BAKE outside.