Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Now Wireless

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I am happier than a pig in a park.

Hooking up, monitoring and controlling the Stoker via ethernet cable (Cat5)is simple.

However, I don't like running a wire through a door or window and I didn't want to drill a hole in the house, besides my router is connected to a switch and 7 cat6 connections - every wired plug is full.

If you don't already have a wireless router running then the task isn't too hard either.

My options was to get a 2nd router, access point, repeater or an expensive router to get the job done. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money to get the job done - none actually.

Anyway, the second router is now up and working, the Stoker connected to the 2nd router. I have complete access to monitor & change the Stoker without having to be hard wired.

As far as shared computing I have one hiccup I need to figure out which I am sure is a wrong setting but the Stoker is done. Once I get this sorted out I can also use it to get stronger signals and faster pass through from anywhere in the house & yard.

Sweet

GG

Comments

• Dave in So Cal
    Options
    Actually, GG, you are not a kindred spirit, you are my idol. Am I getting this right that you can wirelessly control your stoker from the comfort of your living room or whereever you have your computer? Amazing.

Very cool. You are the designated tech guy as far as I am concerned.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Yup, anywhere and from any wireless device or wired device. Supposedly it can also twitter, email not sure about facebook! All I need is my cook being twittered.

GG
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    That's sweet Kent. Care to elaborate on your wireless setup please?

I'm waiting anxiously for my stoker. In the meantime I'm playing with StokerLog in simulation mode and pondering my internet options.

-Gary
    canuckland
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Wow, I can't imagine the excitement of being on your Twitter list during a long cook.

I've never actually Twittered, but I've known a whole buncha twits.

If you get it to Twitter, I'll enroll (or be invited, or subscribe, or whatever it is that you do when you get Twittered).

Nice. Thanks.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    That's exciting news, Kent! I think the Stoker really comes into its own once it is wireless.

Twitter is fun, and as easy as making a twitter account (mine is Stoke_Me), and clicking "enable Twitter" in StokerLog. It is a convenient way to monitor when your cook comes out of the stall when you are out (or in bed).

Is your router dedicated to the Stoker, or do you use it for other things as well when not cooking?

Mark
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

"I've never actually Twittered, but I've known a whole buncha twits."

:laugh: :laugh:

Me too. Haven't twittered and probably never will. However, supposedly the stoker and amir's software does all the work. No plans on figuring that out.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

More than happy to help if I can.

The concept is simple and I think it was SkySaw that put up a diagram with some ideas.

This might be too basic but anyway here goes...

The concept I am using is 2 routers talking with each other. I had my router connect computers to share both wired and wireless using a switch and the available ethernet connections on the router.

I simply connected the stoker to the router via ehternet.

The router sits by the stoker and "wireless bridges" to my main router.

The problem I had was trying to get the two routers talking to one another. For some people this task probably is easy but I was pretty intimidated and worked on this project on and off for a very long time.

Now that I have gone down the road it was actually pretty simple.

As I said I have one more hiccup I need to fix but as far as the stoker goes it is working well wireless.

I will be happy to help you through the actual setup should you want.

GG
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Sounds like your router that sits by the stoker is indeed acting as a wireless bridge. From what I read, it could be a readily bought wireless bridge, or one can zap a router's firmware and make it behave like a bridge. I can definitely use Skysaw's and your help when I get there. Thanks.
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Oh crap, now I got to twitter... :laugh:

Sometime when you are doing a cook I would love to do whatever twits do to watch twitter's.

I have wanted this wireless capability for a long time and having the capability now makes the Stoker really fun.

Was it you that posted the connection diagram a while back. I tried to find the post but couldn't locate it.

Right now the Stoker is the only thing I will be using the 2nd router for. However, I would like to take it into the TV area to connect the Xbox as well as wireless stream movies/music/pictures from the HD to the TV and or sound system.

I don't see why I can't get a 3rd router and leave one router physically with the Stoker.

I ran into a problem with the 2nd router. The 2nd router allows any computer to see the stoker or any computer I have connected to to that 2nd modem. However, the computer(s) connected to the 2nd router can not see anything on the side of the main router. I can ping either router from either side and all reports just fine.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am using 2 Linksys routers. I have 4 or 5 more routers sitting here which I am going to play around with.

I burned the firmware with DD-WRT, simple process in and of itself. DD-WRT allows and access point, wireless bridge, client bridge and a couple of other type connections.

I set this up as a client wireless bridge. From there it is just a matter of getting the settings right.

My objective was not to spend any more money and at worst case, if I had to, very little money.

I need to check some things out but I am guessing one of these could be set up for under $20 and nothing if one has a second router laying around.

GG
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    An simple way to do it is to use a wireless adapter like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124126

They are made to easily connect things (xbox, wii, or computers) to an existing wireless network if you already have a wireless router.

I have had my stoker for a long time and use it to control all three of my large eggs at the same time.

Stoker log is a great program and I have it set up to send text messages and alerts to my cell phone during a cook. Unfortunately Stoker log can only work with two smokers and not yet do three or more graphs.

A couple years ago Amir (the guy who created the stoker log software)used my stoker remotely to test and debug his software because I had more temperatur probes and blowers than he did at the time. One week he was remotely controlling my stoker here in Atlanta across the internet while he was over in Japan :laugh:
  • SkySaw
    Options
    I think the diagram came from RUEggsperienced.

Having the wireless bridge permanently connected to the Stoker makes setup really easy. You can then keep it all together, and when you want to use it, plug in the AC, connect the probes, and bob's-your-uncle. It's about as easy as setting up a Maverick probe. I use my Stoker for cooking fatties or anything that takes longer than a hour or so to cook.

Speaking of fatties, here's tonight's turkey fattie with cranberry:

4274955137_c2d2f8edb7_o.jpg

I used to do my fatties at 250º, but the Stoker helped me to learn that I prefer my turkey fatties at 300º.

4274954841_65e1b65a42_b.jpg

Mark
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Wow, that's cool and thanks for the link. However, based on my research, which agrees with GG's approach, I can hopefully burn the firmware of a surplus router with DD-WRT and make it behave like a bridge similar to a wireless game adapter, at $0. Wherever possible, I'd rather spend the money saved on butts :woohoo: :P
    canuckland
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice Mark!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    dd-wrt is fun software to play with but beyond the technical capabilities (or interest) of many users on this forum. I like to use it in several configuration on Buffalo High Power routers (WHR-HP-G54)

Just be sure that you are truly bridging vs. routing as a wireless client if using a 2nd router for your stoker so you do not double NAT and have to hop across multiple different subnets.
  • SkySaw
    Options
    Thanks Molly - I didn't think you frequented these 'hardware' threads. One post with some food in it, and you are there!

Mark
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    ;):)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • GoKooL
    GoKooL Posts: 32
    Options
    What range are you getting with your wireless setup?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The install I did will allow me to increase transmission power of the router.

If you are having problems there are some very inexpensive tricks (50¢) you can do to increase reception and transmission from a single router or a pair of routers.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

That cook looks great as does the chart.

For now I want to try to get the 2nd router to be multi use. If it ends up me having to always change settings it will quickly become dedicated to the stoker.

GG
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Gateway need to point to where you want it to.
    I would use the IP of the main router for the gateway.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Mark,

I see you're running Stokerlog. As I recall, you have a Mac. If so, are you running Windows on your Mac and doing Stokerlog over there?

I also have a Mac (with Windows), and am waiting for my Stoker to be delivered. I wasn't sure if I could use Stokerlog. How does it access the data ... through the IP address or the wireless network? The reason I ask is that I have not been able to configure Windows networking to be able to access the other Mac on my network, and I'm afraid Windows wouldn't "see" the Stoker either.

Whew! Does that make sense? Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SkySaw
    Options
    Hi Gary - your question makes complete sense to me. I run Windows XP in Parallels. I was very pleased to discover that StokerLog uses the local ip address of your Airport Express to get all the Stoker data. So, all your Windows needs to be able to do is access the internet. If you can bring up a url in IE, then you can do everything (including Twiiter, email, etc.) in StokerLog.

I have not bothered to do this, but couldn't you test your Windows access to your Airport Express by opening a DOS prompt and pinging the ip address of the AE?

Mark
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks Mark ! I run Windows using VM Ware Fusion, and can certainly get to the internet with IE. I was hoping that it uses the IP.

Also, I hope the Canadian government heeded my request and temporarily revoked your passport, so you can't skip the country in case I need help with the setup. :laugh: :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious