Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bison Cooking Tips?

Options
UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently discovered a local company dealing in buffalo meat and want to try it sometime soon. Does anyone have any experience cooking with bison that can offer tips for the BGE?

They have an online store and will ship the meat if anyone is interested and doesn't have a local supplier: Kentucky Bison Company

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    UKBradC, I don't know if you did a search but I did and this is all I found. So here it is until someone else chimes in. Tim

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=362021
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've been cooking bison since before I started Egging. Here are some general observations.

The main difference between bison and beef is that bison will be leaner than most if not all beef you've used, and any connective tissue will be a lot tougher. It is also sweeter and milder in flavor.

The amount of fat and toughness depends some on how the animal was raised. I've had complete free range bison from S.D., and it had almost no fat. I've had pasture raised from Minnesota, and it had a bit more fat, and was more tender. For the past 2 years I've bought from a farm here in No. Indiana. They have fairly small pastures. The bison get some grain every now and then. I believe they said 1 day every 10. There is maybe 5% fat in their ground.

So, general tips. I usually mix a little beef with ground for making burger. And/or mix in some marinade for both the extra fluid and oil. The first time I tried pan frying bison burger, it burnt to the pan, and I had to add butter to keep it from sticking.

Steaks can be done pretty much like beef, but do not take them past medium rare. They will dry out. Also expect what connective tissue there is to be leathery.

Roasts benefit from marinade. Slow cooked bison chuck is really good, although there is a line of cartilege in the center that might as well be bone.

Short ribs can be done pretty much like beef, but are likely to have one tough side. A little foiling for both ribs and roasts is a plus.

I've been lucky enough to get a heart. After splitting it open and carefully trimming off the extensive connective tissue, I first brined it over night and then marinaded for 4 hours. Then did it like brisket. Basted a little with apple juice. Turned out great.

But most often, heart is cubed up, and cooked kebab style. Most people would take it for bits of steak.

I did a piece of brisket. It looked like a flat portion. Had less success with that, and suppose a few hours in foil would have helped a lot.

I generally use fruit wood for the smoke. Hickory is a bit much for the mild flavor.

Enjoy, it great meat.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09333a.jpg

DSC07628a.jpg

gdenby pretty much covered all the bases. I have local sources for buffalo, and all the markets carry burger from Colorado. some restaurants and bars serve it too. I particularly enjoy buffalo burgers and meatloaf (either personal sized ones or full sized ones. I like to add chopped onion and add some liquid (like beer) to insure they will be moist.

The ribs can be fatty at times, but I don't trim them much at all. The tenderloin will be expensive, but it's very good, I definitely do the bacon wrap on it. Truth be known I would rather have a nice hamburger steak over most of the steaks. It's just a better value.

DSC04711x.jpg

1002d14a.jpg

cc778b53.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • UKBradC
    UKBradC Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!