Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature problems big!

Illinifan
Illinifan Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't get my dome temp below 300. I shut off the top vent to about
one eighth inch as well as the bottom vent. Our BGE is a medium.
I have calibrated the thermoter, checked for dome leak at the gasket,
opened the lid to get it down to 200. It goes right back to 300.
Have no problem getting it higher. We have only had it for 3 weeks, so we are amateurs. Everything has turned out better than perfect.
But now we want to do some slow cooking at about 200 degrees.
Hope some one can hely me.[p]Illinifan

Comments

• Illinifan, did you let the dome get super hot before shutting 'er down to 1/8" or whatever? Once the dome gets hot, it likes to stay that way. It sounds like you may have gone way above 200 degrees, and now you're having a hard time getting back down there. If that is true, it will take a long time, and you'll need to completely shut everything down for a bit to get the temperature down.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Illinifan, with the heat retention properties of ceramics you always want to "sneak up" on your desired temp - not come down to them. It can be done, but it takes time and is frustrating. You'll get to know what is a flame induced temp while your fire starter is doing its thing vs the true rising temp from lump which has caught fire. As a rule of thumb I start shutting down my vent and restricting my top when I'm 50 degrees below my desired temp. You'll get the hang of it!!! BTW being an Illinifan where are you? I'm here in Dunlap, IL just to the north of Peoria...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Illinifan,
    Just to add a comment. The worst thing you can do to try and cool down your fire is to open the egg! Yes the temp guage goes down, but that is because it is farther away from the flame and there is not more heat retention with the lid open. However, when you open the lid it allows more oxygen to get to the fire, that is it's only source of fuel and when you open the lid it actually makes your fire hotter!

• Illinifan
    RRP,Thanks as what you recommend makes a lot of sense.
    I will sneak up on the desired temp rather than try to
    go down to it

• Illinifan
    RRP,By the way, I live in Mattoon, Ill

• AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Illinifan,
    I was experiencing the same problem. But then my fellow Eggers bailed me out by teaching me to "sneak up" on the temperature rather than to try and come down to the temperature. (I used to live in Downers Grove, Illinois)

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    You might also reconsider (just a bit) how low you really need to go. 200 dome is really only about 160 at the grill. I've revised my low temperature cooks after getting a Maverick thermometer, and now shoot for a temperature of 240-250 dome for a cooking temp of 190-200 at the grill.[p]The comments about sneaking up to the temperature are well-founded. Another helpful hint is Elder Ward's fire-building technique for low & slow. For hot fires build and burn from the bottom up, for low & slow start the fire at the top and let it stay "minimal".[p]Bob V
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Illinifan,
    Try this link to an earlier posting of mine.[p]Kelly

[ul][li]Temperature Control[/ul]