Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops wrapped in Bacon???

ShortRib
ShortRib Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long do I cook 'em and at what temp????

Comments

• ShortRib,[p]You picked a tough one - I have cooked Scallops (Jumbo) wrapped in bacon twice. First time undercooked, second time perfect, third time overcooked - can you say rubber. Shoot for fifteen to twenty at 350. Keep in mind the the bacon will crisp if you let it sit for ten minutes or so @ room temp, so do not shhot for crisy while on the grill. Sorry I can't be of more help but you have a short window between inderdone and over done.[p]Mike
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Cut, you did a good job of describing the dilemma. There was a long thread down the forum somewhere discussing this. Some of us opt to "precook" the bacon so it can get done faster. The scallops only tak ea couple of minutes. It's gettingthe bacon done that takes a while.

• Wise One,[p]Pancetta works great if you are having problems with thickness. I do shrimp and scallops with it mostly because I like the taste better, but it is much thinner and that makes it *easier* to focus on the scallop or the shrimp’s doneness.
  • Wise One,[p]You brought up a point that I did not disclose - I did indeed Blanche the bacon with all three attempts.[p]Mike
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    ShortRib,
    I did these ealier this week as appetizers for my wife's birthday dinner. I pre-cooked the bacon about half way done, wrapped the scallops and secured the bacon with a couple of toothpics (soaked the toothpics for about an hour beforehand). Seasoned with lemon pepper and Raging River - I already had the large egg up to 425° for baked potatoes so just used that temp for 4 minutes the first side and three minutes the second side. They were very good, but next time I will only use three minutes per side.

• Steve-O, yep, scallops @ 7 minutes @ 425 = over-done, at least to my tastes. I might suggest 4-5 minutes, max, at that temp. Let us know what happens the next time. Thanks.