Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soup

jebbia
jebbia Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good ham & bean soup recipe

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Here''s one that RRP posted:
    Posted by: RRP on 2008/12/21 18:51:32
    In Reply to: Ham Bone Ideas? posted by thebtls on 2008/12/21 18:41:06
    This is a bodacious ham and been soup I've perfected over the years. While it addresses the Double Smoked ham recipe, I've made it with other ham bones and left overs as well. This is rich and hearty!

RRP’s Ham & Bean Soup

1# navy beans prepared as described below
    8 pints of water in total
    3 cups of diced ham
    left over ham bone
    ¼ pound real butter
    1 cup grated carrots
    1 cup diced onion
    1 cup thinly diced celery
    2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    3 tsp salt
    1 tsp comino powder (aka cumin)
    1 tsp chili powder
    3 T sifted flour
    ½ t Wright’s concentrated hickory liquid smoke
    ½ t Kitchen Bouquet

Sort through beans for any bad ones, rinse and place in large pot with 4 pints of cold water. Bring to a boil for three minutes, turn off heat, but leave on the burner and keep covered for one hour and 15 minutes.

Drain beans and rinse again. Add 4 pints of cold water, plus the ham bone. Simmer for 3 hours.

Sauté the carrots, celery and onions in ¼ lb of butter. Season with salt, pepper, comino powder and chili powder. In a separate bowl place 3 T of sifted flour and THEN add 1 pint of tap hot water and mix thoroughly to make a slurry.

Remove ham bone and add leftover diced ham, sautéed vegetables, and flour slurry to the pot of beans. Carefully add one more pint of cold water, stir well. Heat thoroughly on simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Skim off any large poolings of fat which will might rise during this final stage, unless you were careful to exclude fat from the ham pieces and ham bone.

Kicker – if you saved any of the Dr Chicken’s Double Smoked Ham glaze pour that in. It is wise to be careful here as it may make the soup too sweet for some people’s taste.

Lastly, 1 pint of this well mixed hearty soup is a nice size serving. Normally this recipe yields 7+ pints of this bodacious ham and bean soup!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    jebbia, I did a search and found many posts on this cook here is one of them. Enjoy your soup. Tim

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=381755&catid=1#
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    like the politicians say...I'm RRP and I approve this message! hehehe

IMG_0920.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP,
    You have posted in the past about freezing soup. I have a question. After you fill your food saver bags with the soup, how do you freeze them before sealing them. Your pics of the frozen bags lay flat, not upright, like I would think if you froze them that way.

Thanks
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I used a few pointers from RRP and based on his recipe did the following. I have done it many times since. It is quite good.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=381755
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Clark,

I do it differently from RRP. I measure the soup into tupperware bowls and freeze them. Then the block of frozen soup gets dumped out of the bowl and into a foodsaver bag. Sometimes you need to let it thaw for 20-30 minutes just enough to loosen from the edge of the bowl. Either that or a quick dip into a sick of hot water. I then seal the bag and toss it back into the deep freeze.
  • RRP
    first I fill the pint size bags keeping the walls clean using a bottomless plastic glass.
    IMG_0924.jpg

then I use plastic bag clips like this and stack them in the freezer.
    IMG_0932.jpg

The next day I remove the clips and seal them like this.
    IMG_0933-1.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    with soup im just as happy with ziplocks, no real reason to use the foodsaver imho. i stack them flat with corrugated cardboard (sam adams boxes) between the soup or tomato sauce or whatever. i find the ziplocks more conveinient for this
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    I hear you, but I still like the protection of the FoodSaver bag. Note the date on this soup that I had recently. Even after 3 years frozen it still tasted fresh!
    IMG_0930.jpg
  • AH HA ! The clips are the secret weapon !! :ohmy: I knew it had to be something!

I make a good bit of duck gumbo after the hunting season and have been using plastic tubs, which are good for large quantities, but the vacuum bags would be good and should keep longer. Of course, this year the duck hunting has been so poor there may not be much gumbo to hold us over...... :(

Thanks.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    see, your one of those normal people that has food in the house :laugh: after cooking on the weekend im out of food by mid week and thats the end of dinner til saterday :laugh: i think all i have in the freezer is some rosemary and some kiefer lemon leaves richard sent me and im feasting on sauce, sausages, and brasciole from the weekend out of the fridge this week
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ron,

Do you take picture of absolutely everything you touch/buy/cook/prepare/egg setup? You seem to have a picture of many things most people wouldn't even think of taking a picture of...
  • RRP
    Haven't thought of it that way, Cory, but yes I am one who will show a picture even of mundane things, if I think it can help someone, rather than letting them just try to visualize.
  • 2Fategghead
    No disrespect but I like all the pictures. I'm a hard head and the pictures help me understand. I my forget the words but, I won't forget the pic's. Thank you Ron
  • 2Fategghead
    Cory, Just wondering something are you Canadians going to let it warm up any? :lol: Have a good one. Tim

I would have said canucks but I need a picture to know how to spell it! :lol:
  • RRP
    LOL - I don't want to start any international feud here, but yes I do take pictures of some strange things I suppose. For instance if I wanted to really reply to your post I could have mooned you this way!

IMG_0804.jpg
  • 2Fategghead
    hmm a 6 pack of moons! :lol: