Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing steaks

Options
arizonawildcat
arizonawildcat Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK...pork butt, check...burgers, check...chicken, check -- next up on my new Large egg were Ribeyes. Tried the sear method, but had some questions/little difficulty

The search function didn't bring up anything good for a match or I'm a moron...both of which have equal possibility.

1. I had the vent all the way open at the bottom and the daisy wheel off on top. Got the egg up to 650 or so, but would not go any higher.

2. Do you sear the steaks with the Daisy Wheel on or off? I put some hickory chips in the fire before the meat hit, so I assumed the wheel needed to be on to retain the smoke.

3. 2 minutes per side each...then closed the vent all the way at the bottom and closed the Daisy Wheel completely. Is this right, or was I supposed to install the plate setter first and then let the meat rest inside the egg to the desired doneness?

Hope my questions make sense. The steaks turned out OK...just feel like I could have done them a little differently. Thanks in advance everyone.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    My favorite way to do Ribeyes is the 'hot tub' method. Simply put your steaks in a waterproof bag and into 100* water for about an hour (may have to change the water if it cools) and then onto that hot egg you had going. Depending on thickness and doneness desires, about 1 1/2-2 minutes a side and then rest for 10 minutes.

Or you could roast them direct at 350 until they get to an internal temp of 100* or so and then pull them to rest (while you open the egg vents up and ramp the heat up) Then put them back on for a quick sear.

Keep trying new things and then you'll figure whatcha like. Sure is fun learning :)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    sounds right, I just finished three done exactly like that, about a 3 min dwell at the end. no plate setter, just a third flip back to the original side, close the vent and the daisy wheel.
    was there anything you didnt like about the steaks?
    you will find a couple other methods here that folks also like.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    T- Rex method is the best I have ever done!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Go HERE and look for Trex's New York Strip Steak...it fully explains the method I think you are trying to use...keep in mind..there are variations on the theme and you may have to vary the method to get the level of doneness, crispness, etc. you like in your steaks...
  • arizonawildcat
    Options
    They tasted just fine...I was just hoping for more of a crispy outside and incredibly tender and juicy inside (I can hope, right?)

The whole resting thing is what has me confused. For some reason thought I was supposed to rest with an indirect, raised grid...but it did not make much sense to try and move the very hot grate.

I also have not ponied up just yet and purchased a CI grate, which I am sure would make a significant difference.
  • SmokeOrFire
    Options
    Don't need the daisy at all for high temps. I remove the whole contraption at the top (except for low and slow) and control temp with the draft door (350-600+).
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    What he said. Keep in mind that thinner steaks will require less time. I always SEAR for 90 sec per side, no matter how thick, but after the 20 minute rest time, I roast the steak for 1, 2 or 3 mins per side, depending on thickness.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    arizonawildcat,

The rest is at room temp to allow the juices that have been driven in to the middle of the meat by the high temps to come back and redistribute through it. IMHO the best steak you will get from the egg is to hot tub in 100* water and sear the outside at 400-450* until you get a nice crust. Then rest for a few minutes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• arizonawildcat
    Options
    Thanks so much for the link - I understand this method much better now!
  • arizonawildcat
    Options
    Thanks Steve - yes, I realize now the rest is actually on a plate and off the grill. Amazing that my steaks actually turned out edible. Thanks for your help as well.

By the way, I love your avatar/picture at the top. It also makes my 5-yr old little girl giggle!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=503700&catid=1
    After you sear the steaks Put the hard top on and close the bottom vent. let out the hot air out every 2-min. when it gets close to 400* roast your steaks for 4-5-min.

Ross
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

From the above posts you have seen different ways to get a good sear.

1. If you can't get above 600° you probably do not have good air flow up through the fire grate into the lump. Get and use a wiggle rod.

2. It doesn't matter all that much.

3. Depends on the thickness of the steak and how much heat you have at food level. 90 seconds on a thin steak will be enough for a good sear and medium rare in that 90 seconds per side. 2 minutes per side might be a bit too long even for a thick steak. You will need to look and judge from what you see the cook doing.

A lot of people will get excessively high dome heat to achieve their sear, then will let the egg cool down and 'roast' the steak. The hot tub method somewhat eliminates that high heat and cool to roast technique.

There are other ways to skin the cat without getting an excessively hot egg.

Sear down into the egg. Build a good fire that is light and burning well across the surface of the lump. When you see a lava looking orange color in the lump that surface are is atou 1000°. If the color is orangish yellow then 1300° and a whiteish look the lump can be at 1500° - 2000°.

All you need to do is have the food cooking level close to that lava looking lump and it won't matter what the dome temperature is.

I can get a great sear with the dome at 350­° - 400°.
    I use a Spider to sear low in the egg. Even though they should, not every one has a spider so...

Remove the fire ring. Load the lump to just above the air holes in the fire box. Light the lump a little down into the lump in 5 places. 3, 6, 9,12 o'clock and center. Let that lump develop heat until you see a good orange lava look in the lump (across the surface of the lump).

Put your smoke wood on the lump and the grid on top of the fire box. Let the grid get hot and do your sear.

Remove the food and grid (use a lift tool and or good gloves) and insert the fire ring into the egg. If you can cook on a raised grid all the better. I use an adjustable rig.

Put your grid on the fire ring and your steaks for the 'roast' if needed and finish your cook.

This method will eliminate the cool down time in the egg.

If you have a CI grid or 2 grids you can have one grid on the fire box and have have the fire ring in the egg. After the sear put the second grid on the fire ring and finish the cook.

GG