Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Everybody Cooking This Weekend?

QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All...[p]Looks like it's shaping up for a gorgeous weekend here in sunny Florida so, I'm planning to spend some time outside (go figure!)...[p]So, what's everybody cooking? Here's what's on tap for us so far. 'Course things are always subject to change, depending on how the weekend progresses...[p]Friday
Spanish Red Snapper with Tomato-Olive Salsa
Yellow Rice
Homemade Sangria[p]Saturday
Brined Double Cut Pork Chops with Apple/Raisin Cornbread Stuffing
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Spinich Salad[p]Sunday
Baked Cheesy Cavatelli with Spinich, Mushrooms and Italian Sausage
Fresh Tossed Salad
Parmesan Garlic Bread[p]...and, as I'm typing that, I noticed there wasn't one low and slow listed...so, I may have to considere something along that line![p]Happy Weekend!
Tonia
:~)

Comments

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    The only plans are steaks tonight (probably NY strips), for dinner with my brother and sister in law. That's if it stops raining. I can cook on the Egg in the rain, but it's a hassle, and I don't really feel like being out in the rain. If it doesn't stop, I'm doing pizza in the oven (which, on the pizza stone, always turns out great).[p]No plans for Saturday, and Sunday I'm going out of town for a few days.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    QBabe,
    My big plan is to have a hot dog with my son at an ECU baseball game on Sunday![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Picked up a prime rib at Costco, going to do a first pr on the egg.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    QBabe, 7 rib pork loin on sat with WDAN's lechon asado marinade and mojo sauce, and sunday tandoori marinaded chicken breasts skewered and hung in the egg. both new to me so will be experimental.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman,
    tell me more about how you hang things in your egg . ..

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 56
    QBabe,
    Mad Max does not know it yet, but he and I are going to experiment in making tandoori bread on his Egg. Crank that puppy up Max, we need 750+ degrees for 45 minutes to an hour! [p]Brett

• QBabe,Just got a Guru, gonna try a brisket. Got me a bottle of Salt Lick BBQ sauce to go over it when done.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    mad max beyond eggdome, this will be a first attempt for me, and hopefully i get the top bracket ready for the weekend. i built a skewer this week with a bottom heat deflector. basically an 8 inch diameter by .25 inch thick plate with a .25 inch diameter rod welded to the center. i bent the rod around a peice of pipe and sharpened the end so that i can skewer the meat like a large stack of pancakes and they will rest on the plate/ heat deflecter/support. the large diameter bend in the rod is were i hang the skewer from and acts a a handle for carrying the meat bundle. if i dont get the top hanger support done i will probably just rest the vertical skewer on a firebrick or two. should yeild the same result.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    QBabe,[p]How could you tell that the snapper was from Spain?[p]I guess it's time for some freezer diving to see what I come up with. I know we have lots of game birds and venison....[p]Have great weekend! Julie[p]

• Brett,
    you melt my gasket this time, you get to replace it. .. . heeeeee[p]i've got to do briskets for passover sunday evening, so we'd better plan this one for saturday. . ..

• QBabe,
    I was eating lunch at chipotle yesterday, and on the drink cup was this big write-up about how they braise their barbacoa and their carnitas meat really slow to get all the flavor into them. That got me thinking, why can't I slow cook up a beef roast with a mexican marinade and make some monster burritos. We'll see if it works out on sunday. need to find a recipe somewhere, any ideas?[p]Tomorrow, just going to grill some chicken breasts, nothing too fancy.

• QBabe,
    I will be cooking hot dogs outside of my wife's store this Saturday on my small BGE. It is their Spring Open House. I did this at their Fall Open House and now it looks like it will be a tradition. Not too exciting, but I do get to meet a lot of people and preach the benefits of the BGE.[p]I will have to cook some ribs soon though. I tried the new Sonny's Sweet and Smokey ribs last night. They were awful, now I am left with a bad taste in my mouth until I can cook some myself. [p]I think that is one problem about owning a BGE. It takes the fun out of going to most restaurants. Because you sit there thinking I can cook better than this at home.[p]Smoke 'n Things

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    QBabe. Nuttin cooking this weekend. Here in Maryland the rain is predicted to be with us until Monday. But, the rain will give me time to play with my new Cardigan Welsh Corgis, Owen and Trevor. If interested, here is a link to the photos of all the pups. It's hell being retired but somebody has to do it.[p][p]
  • Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    OOPS. Here is the URL to the pups. Oh yeah, these guys are additions to the Sheltie, Papillion, and Basenji.[p]http://www.pbase.com/lindah/corgis&page=all

[ul][li]Corgis[/ul]
  • QBabe,
    Just doing some simple mojo marinated pork loin chops tonight.[p]Probably going to do high-temp blackened fish on Saturday (after all the fish talk this week).[p]Sunday is still open...[p]Dave[p]

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    QBabe,
    Beef shishkabob tonight. Does anyone pre-cook their veggies prior to skewering?[p]Mike

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    QBabe,
    28 pounds of meat cookin' low n' slow starting tonight. I will have a 12 pound brisket on the lower grid and 2 pork butts on the raised grid. Looking forward to chowing down tomorrow. The BBQ Guru will help to give me a good night's sleep.[p]Have a great weekend,
    Bob

• QBabe
    Lawn Ranger,[p]I often pre-cook them just a bit (potatoes, onion, carrots, peppers), otherwise the meat ends up overdone waiting for the veggies to get finished. Things like cherry tomatoes, pineapple, and mushrooms don't seem to need it, though.[p]Just my stray thoughts...
    Tonia

1044 Posts: 93
    QBabe,
    Well, started last night on shrimp etouffee for 60 for tomorrow night.[p]Hope it works better this time. Last time, my shrimp were too small. They all fell through the grate and burned up in the coals. Didn't matter though. All my roux leaked out of the grease drain.[p]If the bigger shrimp and thicker roux don't help, I'm gonna use a pot next time.

• QBabe
    Zeke,[p]Very cute! How big do they get? [p]If you can't cook 'cause of the rain, take advantage of it![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Smoke 'n Things,[p]Yep, it's pretty tough to go out to dinner anymore, particularly bbq (even though before I learned, I thought Sonny's was pretty darn good)! And, when you can take that same money and end up with a lot more meals that are SO much better, it kind of ruins it for you. One way I justify it is that I'm paying for the privledge of not doing the cleanup, rather than the food, LOL![p]Have fun at the open house,
    Tonia

• QBabe, i'll be making 2 turkey breasts: injected with falavored broth then slow smoked with maple wood. When done slice, re-assemble & glaze with a honey baked ham mix that i will "brulee'" on it.
    (Also, not related to BGE make 5Qts chicken soup & 25 Mazzoballs - i have 20 family members come on tuesday evening for Passover)

They make a little sheet like a cookie sheet with holes in it. It works great for shrimp. [p]I think Walmart has them and I bet the place where you got your BGE would also.[p]Good Luck [p]Kyle

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Hi Tonia!
    Since it's our turn to host the NASCAR party. I'm putting a couple 8lb butts on tonight, Mrs. BFJ is making baked beans and smoked sausage bowtie pasta salad.
    Mrs. BFJ made a nice pot roast last night so we're covered 'til tomorrow.

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    QBabe,
    ribs.JPG
    need I say more
    your ol' pal
    alt