Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib mistakes again

Options
BigGreenDave
BigGreenDave Posts: 149
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I sware it used to be easy to makegreat ribs on my Charbroial gas grill, but the egg is making it hard for me to learn even though I read allot of stuff here and finally got to watch the CD that came with my egg.

I read a lot of people saying that not to use foil cooking on the egg so I decided not to do the 321 thing even though I think it was Little Steve or maybe Celic Wolf that said to do that. I put my ribs on with a place setter and then the grill and the ribs on that. I put on some salt and pepper and tyme and rosemary because that is really all the spices we have here. I got it all on the egg then when it got settled back to 250 I decided I would cook for five hours and then put on some bbq sause.

Well anyway I went back and the egg was around 300 or maybe just under. I put on the sause and cooked them another hour. They got a little burned but were real dry and tasted pretty bad kinda bitter like.

I need allot more help to get it right if anybody who is really good at ribs can help me I appreciate it.
Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina

Comments

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Try this method....after you get this down, you can play with it from there.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You may want to check out that you are getting good temp numbers off egg........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My first few months with the Egg were rather difficult because I had to forget most of what I knew from cooking in metal with briquettes.

The 321 method pretty much guarantees a moist and tender rib. My preference is for a dry rib, with just a bit of sauce on the side, so I haven't done a 321 for at least 18 months. This is just a preference.

Some specifics about your recent cook. Bitter can be from either putting the ribs on before all the VOCs have burnt off the lump. Wait for the thin "blue" smoke before starting. Bitter can also be from burnt sugar in the sauce.

It can take an hour for an Egg loaded with a platesetter to reach a stable 250. Then, as the meat heats up, and dries out, its fairly common for the temps to creep up. My method is to get the dome to 250. Then add the platesetter & drip pan, if using, and wait for the dome to get back to 250. Usually by that time, the smoke is very thin. Then the ribs go on. I check back after half an hour to see if the mass of meat has lowered the dome, and adjust vents if needed. Check again to see if its at 250, then go away for 2 hours. Do a check back to see if the temp is creeping up or sliding down. Adjust.

At 5 hours, if they're spares, I check for moistness, and if the surface is dry, I paint them with a little plain water. Hopefully, around hour 5.5 - 6, if I try to pick up an end, the meat starts to fall apart.

If you have a thermapen, and meat thick enough to probe, look for at least 195.

Keep trying, you will get the hang of it. I spent 6 months learning temperature control. Finally learned all the mistakes I was making.
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    I did that already and the dial is right

Thanks!
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    I can try that next time

Thanks!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    You have email...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i make them different ways for different crowds, for myself i cook them raised grid direct. its really difficult to cook ribs by time, they are done when they are done, ive had babybacks done in as few as 2 hours and ribs done in as long as 7 so you really need to look for what done means and what it means to you, and what to look for when its getting close. now as for methods carwashmikes is a good one, so is the 321 you mentioned, try all the methods a few times and pick what suits YOUR needs. if you liked the 321 before, chances are youll like it even better with the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Calibrate your dome thermometer. As for the bitter taste.....are you sure that you are letting the egg burn good before putting the ribs on? I would let it burn at about 250 for 45 minutes at least, up to an hour. "Bitter" in a cookout sense usually is nasty smoke from vocs, at least in my eggsperience.
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    Thanks! I will keep trying.
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    I got your mail and sent you a mail too.

Thanks!
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    how can i tell when they are done?

Thanks!
  • KMO_Q
    KMO_Q Posts: 150
    Options
    I agree, this is the right way to do baby backs...I followed the recipe and they turned out fantastic
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    some pick them up in the middle to see how floppy they are which is a good method, then i check til theyre the way i like them by poking with a toothpick. i like some pull from the bones but not much and not fall off the bones which some prefer, sometimes i nail it other times i get fall off which seems to be what everyone wants that i make them for
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    If your sauce is sugar based 20 minutes is fine. Try the 3-1-1 method. Start your fire at a lower temp, sounds like your getting to high to quick.
    Mike
  • you said rib mistakes "again". what do you mean. did you try ribs before?

how long did it take it to "get settled BACK to 250"? how long were they above that temp and what was the temp?

the sauce was what burnt in that last hour. doesn't really "burn" as with flame, but it oxidizes and burns just the same. turns to carbon.

if these were the ribs you left out all night ion the counter to thaw, i am not sure i would have eaten them, FWIW.

the dry rub you mentioned is perfectly fine. there are some rib recipes that are herb based. not for me, but that won't ruin the ribs.

the bitter taste could be the sauce or the VOCs, the name and concept of which i frankly think we ought to not even get into now. :whistle:

it's likely you didn't let the thing go for a bit before putting on the ribs. you need the fire to run a little clear.

dare i ask what you used for smoke (if anything) and how you, ah, um, lit the egg?
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    Yea I tryed to do ribs last week and tryed the foil thing but my egg got too hot. I said back to 250 becasue when i put the ribs on the egg went down to about 150 and then it took a while to come back to 250 and that is when i started timing the ribs for five hours.

For smoke i just used the charcoal that came with the egg and to start the fire I use the little cubes starters that came in the egg package too.
  • BigGreenDave
    Options
    That was the problem that happened last time I tryed to do foil and it got too hot when I did it.

How do I know if sause is sugar base? It is just the jar stuff from the store.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Are you the guy that left the lid open while foiling? Is the sauce sweet? It should have an ingredient label. Name the sauce, please. After reading some of your other replies, I don't think you have a clean burning fire going to start with.
    Mike
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Dave, one other thing to check is to make sure your grid is clean. As a relative newbie, I found that after about 10 cooks, my grid had developed a greasy smoky (not good) taste. Lesson learned and I now I scrub it down after just about every cook.

Keep on Eggin,
    Bryan
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You tasted your grid? Man that is raw and hard core.

I usually just hit mine with the brush.

FWIW - every time I see you post I think about L&L Drive In or Yummy BBQ.
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    Fidel wrote:
    You tasted your grid? Man that is raw and hard core.

I usually just hit mine with the brush.

I delegate grate tasting to other members of the Barking Spuds BBQ team

gratecleaning%20001a.jpg

gratecleaning%20006a.jpg

Unfortunately, while they are good at grate inspection and tasting, if unattended they'll eat up more lump than a 20 hour pork butt cook. :lol:
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • wspwooks1
    Options
    I cooked ribs on my large for the first time the other night and they came out PERFECT! I wanted to do a little lower temp but I got crunched for time. I ended up getting a nice stabilized temp rolling right at 275-300 and used a plate setter-legs up with a drip pan underneath. Peeled the membrane off the underside of the ribs and put a mixture of rubs on the three different ribs. I cooked mine for two hours on the grill then foiled them for an hour. By that point in time taking them out of the foil was a chore because they were actually close to being done. I left them on the grill for about another 45 minutes or so and started saucing them right after I took them out of the foil every 15 minutes. My crowd for the National Championship game were BLOWN AWAY! The biggest tip that I got when I asked for help was using tongs halfway under the ribs to see if they folded over. When they did, and I saw the bones retracted from the babybacks, I knew they were done. Hope this helps.
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Fidel, I love me some L&L (Yummy Korean BBQ is a close second). We go to Hawaii every couple years to visit family and my kids share my obessession for a good plate lunch daily. L&L also has a great breakfast.

MKC, I like your grill cleaners. I bet they're good at sweeping up under the kitchen table too, just like our little yapper.

FWIW, I did not actually lick the grill, but I did lick my fingers after picking up a leftover burger and unfortunately it had a distinctly bitter smoke taste. The good news is the burger was still delicious with some fresh sliced tomato and a dash of A1.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I suggest trying to keep it as simple as possible at first. However, you should consider getting a basic rub that will work for ribs and pulled pork.

Here is a rub that is sweet and very nice for ribs, and you can make it from ingredients available at any grocery store:

Meathead's Memphis Dust
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_magic_dust.html

For a cooking method, Dr. BBQ has a straightforward and great way to cook baby-backs. Ignore the ingredients you might not have (like jalapen pepper jelly) and just try the method - 2 hours at 300º followed by 1 hour in foil with some juice:

http://firecooker.com/recipes/entry/baby_back_ribs_firecooker_style/

Good luck!

Mark