Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help Mule Deer Loin!

Options
Coleslaw
Coleslaw Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help!
I've been asked how best to do up a 3-4 lb. mule deer loin. I think it may be the backstrap. Anybody done anything close?[p]Thanks bunches..

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    coleslaw,
    I have not done it myself, but I ate some tenderloin that was cooked at one of the eggfests, and it was fabulous. It was cooked direct to get a good crust on it, and served pretty rare. I think I would rub it up real good in a peppery rub and do it over a pretty hot fire...if it is thick, not too hot. I would think your goal would be to get a good crust built all the way around, flipping every 15 minutes or so, and finishing with an internal temp of 125-130 or so....assuming it is properly handled, fresh meat.[p]A light marinade in soy or worecstershire with some oil and wine..maybe a squirt of vinegar... might be nice before the rub. Maybe even some roasted garlic in there, or a few herbs.[p]Just thinkin here on what I'd do if I had that purty chunk of bambi.
    Let us know what you end up doing!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Nature Boy, pure, unadulterated, shootin' from the hip genius.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Borders,
    Thems awful kind words sir!
    LOL. Shootin from the hip....yes.
    Genius? Naw.
    Hee. Preciate the thought dude.
    I can see some fishing in the future down in Florida.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Nature Boy, its always healthy to be able to see fishing in the future. Please let me know if you're near me, and Wardster likes to fish too.

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo Borders,
    NB is real close. Keep the marinade to under one hour and I would use NB's. Don't do an overnight or marinade is all you will taste. I like the Santa Maria rub off the Weber site w/ lemon pepper. Don't go past 120° and 118° is better. Sit for 5 min. That's rare but even med is real close to Rebok sole. Spg asparagus, bakers w/ a crispy skin and a Fronteria merlot and the right person and good things follow. Trim any silver skin or weird stuff cut 1 1/2" thick and cook fast & real hot maybe 2 min/side or less.
    Dan

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    coleslaw,
    Now you are talking my language!! I love venison and venison is most of the red meat consumption in our home.[p]I have done the drunk & dirty tenderloin and this is still one of the all time favorites. Call out to QBabe and she can re-post a recipe if it is not readily available.[p]A second chouce would be to marinate overnite in 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup balsamic vineger, 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey (we prefer honey) and salt & pepper with 1 tbsp of Braggs or soy sauce.[p]A third and popular choice, based on family feedback, is just simply rub lighlty with olive oil and rub generously with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and a second coating of kosher salt. [p]I sear on a cast iron skillet to sear all sides of the roast. Then, place the roast on an indirect, raised grid, at 230 with hickory smoke or cherry smoke. I use a polder and remove when the roast hits 144. Pull the roast and wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes whilst the balance of the table fixins (veggies, potatoes/rice, salads, breads, etc) are prepared.[p]My friend, you have the finest of all cuts of meat from a wild animal. I hope the animal was harvested properly and no endorphins were released into the muscle at time of harvest (gun shot). If it was harvested properly, you will truly enjoy the absolute FINEST and tender cut of meat you can serve off of a ceramic grill.[p]Please, please, please let us know how you prepare the backstrap and your guests reaction to such a culinary delcacy. Enjoy the process![p]Banker John

• coleslaw,
    the way us Wyoming folks do it is:
    1. cut in 1" steaks
    2. coat with cinamon -- yes, do not sprinkle, you must coat.
    3. squirt liberally with fresh lemon juice
    4. cook direct on very very hot fire so its seared outside and rare inside
    The combination of sweet and tart is sublime and quick cooking keeps the juices in. Sorry, I don't know the temperature. I've cooked in the mountains for so long that I just "feel" the temperature with my hand.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    coleslaw, My father-in-law gives us a lot of deer. Here is a family favorite:

Roast Leg or Haunch of Roebuck
    (Paul Bocuse, from Paul Bocuse's French Cooking)[p]The marinade from that recipe is as follows:
    • Pinch crushed sea salt
    • 3 shallots, thinly sliced
    • 1 large onoin, thinly sliced
    • 1 carrot, thinly sliced
    • 2 sprigs parsley
    • Sprig thyme
    • 1/2 bay leaf
    • Pinch crushed peppercorns
    • 3/4 cup white wine
    • 4 tablespoons vinegar
    • 4 tablespoons olive oil[p]Instead of all the slicing & dicing I just toss all in a food processor and marinate the venison overnight.[p]Bone appétit! JCA