Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

add a propane burner?

Options
gianttweety
gianttweety Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may be a weird question, but I was wondering if it was possible to use a propane burner with my large egg? I want to cook pizza and want to be able to get it up to 600 or so fairly quickly. I also don't want a lot of smoke flavor with the pizza. I have seen some 30,000 btu burners on ebay that are fairly cheap.
thanks,
Ben

Comments

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Why not just light it with a mapp torch? That is what I, as well as lots of others here, do, and I can get to 600 in no time at all. Heck I can have it at 800 fairly quickly.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Clean lump = little to no smoke.

Why ruin what you have with gas...

Some of the best pizza in NY come from wood fired ovens..
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Interesting. I have NEVER been able to get to 800. 750 is the highest mine has ever reached. No matter how long I let it burn or how much lump I use. Doesn't take too long to get to 650-750, but that's all she wrote.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You probably got the model with the governor on it :laugh:

You don't need to go over 750 anyway.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Agreed. Though I would like to try a really hi temp thin crust pizza. The dealer thru in the governor at no charge. :) Said I'd be fine. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    This is what I use to light my Lula Q. It does cut the time it takes to ramp up to those higher temps. And I know that its kind of overkill...that's why I like it.

For 250 I hold it in place for about 30 seconds and I never overshoot. For steak searing 600, I light it in 3 places...there in no time.
    http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1263093811&sr=8-1-spell
  • ranger ray
    Options
    put your leaf blower in the bottom vent for a couple of minutes.... you can use your egg as a forge too....
  • you can get to 600 or better in 20 minutes max with fresh lump (the lighter the better for fast high temps, like the much-maligned Cowboy) and a decently clean egg.

if you want to use propane, get a weedburner and light the egg with that. 1 minute or less to 400-500
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    At 1 post..they are either a troll or rich and uninformed....you know better..let it go..
  • i didn't check his post count....
    but you are probably right
    :unsure:
  • ccbassking
    Options
    Thanks Wess I was really lay in to this Bozo and I don't post that much :laugh:
  • gianttweety
    Options
    A troll? What was strange about my question? If you are using a pizza stone and are trying to cook a real pizza you need to get the stone up to 600 or higher. That is not easy to do with charcoal in my experience. Some people use a propane burner and a modified weber kettle grill with 2 pizza stones for thermal mass. Since I already had an egg I was thinking of using it with a cheap propane burner. Sorry if my question offended anyone, I didn't realize it was such a touchy subject.
  • gianttweety
    Options
    ccbassking wrote:
    Thanks Wess I was really lay in to this Bozo and I don't post that much :laugh:
    Have you been drinking heavily today?
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Don't think it is a touchy subject, though I don't think there are many that have considered gas as a good fuel for an egg. As others mentioned you can really get a high temp going on the egg w/lump. You can easily get to 600 w/lump. I've found a good temp of 525-550 is perfect with the dough I use. I do w/a pizza stone on top of a platesetter.

I use a MAPP torch to light my lump and it usually takes 20-25 min to get a stable temp. Generally it is a clean burn by then and I do not get a smokey flavor. I did make a mistake before of putting the pizza on before the stone was heated fully and it took alot longer to cook the pizza and I did get some smoke flavor. If you let everything get to temp and stabalize things cook pretty quick.

Also some lump has a smokier flavor than others. I use Wicked Good which does not add much smoke (in my opinion).
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    gianttweety, Ahhh, don't worry about it!
    Welcome to the forum. We've all asked strange questions. OR, questions that seemed strange to others, anyway....
    No worries's...it's not a "touchy" subject.
    IMO, stay away from propane...you don't need it at all.
  • gianttweety
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'll have to try some better lump I suppose. I have been known to skimp and buy that Cowboy brand, which works ok if you are going for low and slow. I guess I need to give the egg and good cleaning a probably replace the gasket as well.
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Tweety, if you're cheap (like me), Royal Oak is only $6.39 at Wal-mart. Not sure where you're located, but in Florida we have it stocked year round.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    GASKET! It's confirmed.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    The pizzas I have done haven't had smoke flavor unless I added smoking chips to the fire. Lump charcoal burning hot enough to keep the Egg at 600 degrees will be glowing red and producing almost no smoke. Since you need to let your stone heat up anyway, I doubt that using propane would significantly decrease your overall time.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Yes, this pic (again) -- sorry folks

You can easily get the egg to 700 or 800 or higher to cook pizza. Just ask fishlessman. He uses his at 1100 (estimated) to do his pies.

Cowboy lump should burn hotter easier than Royal Oak.

Just open the bottom and remove the daisy top completely and let it roll. You'll get enough heat and flame to cook your pies without gas.

Setup1217108.jpg

Note the red glowing coals the Whiz mentioned:

AlmostDone121708.jpg
  • johnrezz
    johnrezz Posts: 120
    Options
    I light my charcoal chimney with a mapp gas tourch takes about 10 min to get going, toss it on some fresh lump and cherry drops.... 15 more min and it is 700+ and burning clean.... If I really want to make things move I use an old hair dryer, just dont wear a down jacket or fleece........

J