Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket cook

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing the first one this weekend. Couple of questions - Should I inject the brisket and if so with what? What final temp do folks recommend? Any particular rub? Should I put my temp probe in the small end and pull it at a slightly higher temp or go to the thick end and pull it at that recommended temp. And last - if I cook a pork butt with it, should the pork go on the extended rack and brisket on bottom or vice versa. I know I'm asking a lot of questions here, but I don't know a better way to learn than from you folks. Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    MerlinEgger,yer in for a treat!It is good injected or not. My last one was injected with Cajun garlc sauce ... best ever, I thought.Rub with what you like, Dizzy pig, Ken Stone's Guilde Splinters, what ever rub you like. Add a bunch of white sugar all over the rub.I add some beer,onions, and beef bouillion and let it marinate overnight.Place your pork butt on top, the drippings help keep everything below moist. Fat cap on the briskett on top but score/cut it through (the fat cap) so the marinade/rub absorbs.When temp of the meat hits 190 stick a fork in the brisket and turn it. If it turns easily, it is done, if not, leave it on and try again at 200 degrees. My .02 cents...

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    Just did 2 8 lb butts over a 7 lb brisket two weekends ago - awesome!!! I Injected the brisket with Pilsner Urquel (can't spell worth a damn) and rubbed with DP Cow Lick. The butts were rubbed with a rub from a company called Spice Art - the guys is still working on the name for it.
    Used 4 fist size pieces of hickory and 1 fist size piece of mesquite to start and after the first 4 hours (or so) added in a fist full of cherry wood chips. Pork came off at 195* and wrapped in foil & into a cooler of towels for a few hours. The brisket came off at 200*, wrapped in foil and into a cooler for an hour. Tender & juicy!!! Yum-Yum. Enjoy! Joe