Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt vs. Butt Portion Ham

ledmond
ledmond Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering if anyone else out there has any similar tastes results. When I do a BB, could not be more tender but it is still covered in and full of fat. It's taste is bland even with dry rub.

When I do a butt portion, bone in, raw ham, the exact same way, minus the rub because it is full of smoke flavor, the results are incredible. Full of flavor, fat almost completely non-existent, beautiful bark, etc.

I always hear BB makes the greatest pulled pork, but it tastes like crockpot Sunday roast to me. Butt portion ham compares to any bbq joint I've ever set foot in. Am I missing something on the BB? Anyone have similar results? Or very different results?

Comments

• ledmond
    Ok, even if the topic is boring, I do genuinely appreciate any responses. Not an expert, everything I've learned about smoking, was here on this site.
  • ledmond,
    I cant help with the comparison because I havent cooked the butt portion ham. I have, however done quite a few boston butts and they are incredible! I have two butts on right now and my family cant wait for dinner tonight. I put them on at 6am and will cook for about 12 hours. I have learned that by pulling my butts at a little higher temp (203*) and most all the fat is gone when i pull it and chop. The result is not only tender, juicy and lean but also very tasty. I am chopping up the bark into the meat and that adds that nice smoke taste. We serve ours with bbq sauce on the side but it is quite tasty without sauce. Man, just smelling that butt out there makes me hungry. Id like to try the butt portion but my kids say dont change anything!

Like you, they know what they like. -r
  • ledmond
    No Flo,
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I have done about ten of each over the last year or so. I also did two BB's the night before last. I usually have been pulling at 200. We definitely add sauce for taste, as well and chop up the bark if we have any and we almost always do.

I guess it is just a matter of taste, literally.

Ironically, I have also noticed with any smoked food, the smoke flavor is enhanced greatly after being refrigerated and re-heated later. Again thanks for your reply.
  • Have you tried to inject the but with a apple cider and rub mix before you begin to cook? This would add alot of extra favor!
  • ledmond
    Triangle,
    I have never injected before except in a chicken. I am pretty much a novice when it comes to rubs and injections, but I am going to get better. Started making our own BBQ sauce, (white, mustard based, vinegar based, and ketchup based) and we love that.
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    This is a simple injection that makes a lot of difference. Try it. It is enough to inject one but, so double it if you need to.

¾ C Apple Juice, ½ C Water, ½ C Sugar, ¼ C Salt, and 2 TBSP Worcestershire

I use that injection, mustard, brown sugar, then my rubs. I usually don't put rub on after I pull it, but I do use sauce afterwards.
  • ledmond
    Chappy,
    Thanks for the injection info. I will give it a try on my next one.
  • gregegg
    gregegg Posts: 68
    The naming... nomenclature... seems to be variable (probably depending on the part of the country).

Everybody agrees on Boston Butt, but otherwise it is not yet clear to me.

I told the butcher that, next time, I want to get a 'pork shoulder' to cook. That is what is always cooked (afaik) in Memphis, and it has a lot of white (or very light) meat. Boston Butts have all been great, but all darker meat.

The butcher told me to order (in advance) a 'fresh picnic'.

That is not a butt (I don't know my way around a pig but I can distinguish shoulder from butt), but it is, in my experience, a lighter flavor of BQ that I've always favored.

Greg
  • ledmond
    Hello Greg,
    I believe you are correct about depending upon part of the country. I can find charts on the internet in complete discrepancy with each other from seemingly knowledgeable source sites. I was actually amazed to realize where a Boston Butt cut is. I found another that said "butt" has nothing to do with rear end, it is the butt end of the front leg and picnic is the other end. Definitely confused, but down South I will take a butt portion over a BB anyday. I will have to try a picnic ham sometime.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Remember a butt is a butt because that is the name of the "wooden barrel" that the ships in Boston used to pack upper pork shoulders in.
    SO you can't say Boston Butt is a cut of meat.
    Emil
  • ledmond
    Emil,

I wasn't aware of the "Boston Butt" origin, but thank you for your information. Best of luck to you.