Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs..Aussie Style...

mrsmac
mrsmac Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well
its ben a while since I posted but thought it was time to get back on the "egg". I have had my egg for about 3 years and love it as much today as ever!!

todays cook is just for fun and as a treat for my sister and her family..so here are the details...

8.8 Kg of Prime Certified organic 35+ day day aged Aussie Angus beef ribs, (approx 40cm bone segments)

smeared with Ploghmans American mustard and my own special rub (salt, black pepper, garlic salt, Spanish Smoked Paprika otherwise known as Pimenton de la Vera and coriander powder)

cooked for 4.5 hours @130 C with Hickory wood.

then foil tented with liquid baste ( brown sugar, malt vinegar, salt, honey, beef stock, more cor\riander powder and a dash of bourbon-boiled to syryp) for another hour

finally un-foiled and basted with run-off juices till glazed, sweet and smokey!!

served with a simple green salad, bread and a wonderful slightly cool Margaret River Pinot Noir..enjoy!!

IMG_0186.jpg

Comments

• Looks good from here!
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Good Cook...Looks great
  • Looks good. Thanks for the deails us new cookers need them.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    you really can't beat beef ribs for presentation. they always look soooo good with all that pull back on the bones. just can't bring myself to buy them over pork ribs when i'm in the mood. :)
  • mrsmac
    thanks guys, I too am a freakish fan of pork ribs...our problem here in Aus. is that the pork can be pretty crappy in quality. A while back there was an expose on how pork was being injected with sulfites and water to make the pork "tender" when cut with a knife...made the meat very pale and yukk not to mention tasteless.

If I can source them, I try to get free range pork ribs, sometimes spare ribs (or short ribs) are all I can get. The beef is so good here that $$ wise its a cheaper option, the Angus beef I cooked today was around the $10 a Kg mark which for us is damn cheap, in comparison rib eye sells off bone for around $40 a kg, and in my opinion Rib meat is much tastier (beefier, if you get my drift)

I have ordered some free range baby backs for the butcher that supplied the beef and I am looking forward to another egg cook which I will post next week.
  • mrsmac
    thanks guys, I too am a freakish fan of pork ribs...our problem here in Aus. is that the pork can be pretty crappy in quality. A while back there was an expose on how pork was being injected with sulfites and water to make the pork "tender" when cut with a knife...made the meat very pale and yukk not to mention tasteless.

If I can source them, I try to get free range pork ribs, sometimes spare ribs (or short ribs) are all I can get. The beef is so good here that $$ wise its a cheaper option, the Angus beef I cooked today was around the $10 a Kg mark which for us is damn cheap, in comparison rib eye sells off bone for around $40 a kg, and in my opinion Rib meat is much tastier (beefier, if you get my drift)

I have ordered some free range baby backs for the butcher that supplied the beef and I am looking forward to another egg cook which I will post next week.
  • Looks really good.

$10 (AUS)/kg. = $4.20 USD / lb. Not bad !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Good looking beef ribs. I like the beef over pork.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    mrsmac, the beef ribs look delicious. Where do you live in Australia? (I suppose I won't get a reply being it is 3:24 am Monday in Sydney)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Outstanding beef ribs! :cheer: A summertime BBQ treat! Good luck with pork ribs. I would go for lamb ribs anyday, we love them, so tender and sweet...quick cooked of course.
    Cheers
  • mrsmac
    Hi Rebecca,

I live in Canberra and I think there are only about 20 eggers in a population of 300,000 people, so I feel very much in the minority..he he...but i certainly have the last word when it comes to amazingly flavoured bbq meals!!