Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who here is cooking their pizzas at 700+?

Options
Angela
Angela Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was reading in the other pizza thread that some here are cooking pizzas at 1000 degrees and someone else mentioned cooking at 700. Just curious about set up and results.

I was experimenting this week and didn't like the crust texture in the 400-500 range as it is too bread like. My crust texture came out great ) crisp outside, tender moist crumb inside and nice rise and rim air holes, when I upped it to 600 but I haven't tried higher than that.

Any tips I should know for going over 600 for pizza?
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Not too many toppings or the crust'll burn and cheese won't brown.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Not unless I don't want my arm hair or eyebrows. That hot indirect is flashback central.
  • MileHighMatt
    Options
    I usually keep it around 650. I use a really thin crust and go very light on the sauce and toppings. Watch it very close as 30 seconds can make a big difference. Preheat the pizza stone for at least 30 min, but an hour seems to work better!

Depending on temps, preheat time on the stone, size of pie, and toppings, I usually cook between 5 and 9 minutes.

Some have turned out amazing and some, not so much!!

Good luck!

Matt
    Denver, CO
  • johnrezz
    johnrezz Posts: 120
    Options
    I am working around 550-600 but agree with above, you must be on top of it.... I did do some a few weeks back around 500 just because it is to damn cold to stand outside and I was burning pizza since I was not right there watching.... I look often but I only open the lid enough to get a spatchula in and lift the pizza to check crust........ like matt said, I get some great ones and some bad ones..... consistancy just takes practice.....

J
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I did a frozen pizza last week @ 700°. The crust came out much better than when I cooked 'em 450-500°. Didn't take nerly as long either.

I assume a fresh pizza would be about the same.

Spring "Frozen Is Chosen For A Reason" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Dewey
    Dewey Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi All-

I'm new to the egg and I have made some really great pizza's, but I can't get the temps up high enough. I really want to get the temp over 700 but I don't seem to be able to. The result is I have to put the cooked pizza in the broiler to get the toppings cooked. Any help?

Thanks,
    Dewey
  • Angela
    Options
    My last cook I couldn't get over 500 so I used my hair dryer at the vent to raise the temp. Worked perfectly and I got it to 600 really fast. I probably could have gone higher but that was the temp I was shooting for.

I need more experience building the fires because I have been relying on the hubby to do that, since I'm using his egg while mine is waiting for it's table to be completed.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    If you are constantly having this problem it may be due to one of two things, assuming of course that you are using good lump charcoal and your ash pit is fairly clean.

It could be that your bottom vent opening and fire-box are not aligned properly. I'd sure check that.

Also, if your lump is poor quality and/or has a lot of small pieces, you could be choking your fire by not giving it enough space to burn. Air must be able to get through the fire in order to burn efficiently and to creat a draft that will allow you to reach higher temperatures.

You should also calibrate your thermometer. They can be off a lot and you wouldn't know it. Just take it out and stick the tip in boiling water. If it's right on 212° you're good. If not, adjust it until it is.

Finally, you may not be letting it burn long enough to get up to temperature. With good lump, a clean firebox and a good draft you can reach high temperatures quickly, but that doesn't mean your Egg is ready. It takes a little monitoring to know when to cut it back to let it stabilize (about 30 minutes or more).

I'm sure others may jump in with other suggestions.

Good Egg'n to you.

Spring "Things Ain't Right If Your Lump Is Too Tight" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Angela
    Options
    bottom vent opening and fire-box are not aligned properly

Could you explain that? I want to make sure that isn't a problem on mine.

oh nevermind, I figured it out. :laugh:
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Okay, but you may find it easier to understand by closely watching the video that came with your Egg. They cover a lot of things that are easily overlooked in your Eggcitement to get started. I always recommend watching it at least twice.

BigGreenEggComponents.jpg

See the image of the Firebox at the bottom. The hole in the front of the fire box should be aligned with the vent hole in your Egg. Simple as that. If it is not properly aligned the air coming in through the vent will be restricted and your fire will be reduced accordingly.

You might also want to keep your rain cap and dual function metal top off until the fire is going well.

Hope this helps.

Spring "Duel Function Bald Top" Chicken
  • Angela
    Options
    I watched the video back when we bought our first one, but it was mainly for my husbands use and he put it together. And well, I'm more of a instruction manual reader than he is. My egg is still in it's box in the garage. He is starting my table today. I started cooking on his, but never paid attention to the alignment before.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Its just my opinion, but if you like the way your crust turned out, then you have a good dough/temp combo. stick with it! Some folks are using a dough with higher water content, that would require a higher temp.
  • i go at around 650. we do thin crust pizzas usually, store bought dough (i know, heresy).
    I actually run with the platesetter legs up, grid on that, and then the pizza in a pizza pan (perforated). crisp crust, and the crust rarely burns before the top is done. we often actually PRE COOK the dough, and it still doesn't burn when we take it out, put the toppings on, and stick it back in to cook the top.

i no longer bother trying to hit 700+. too much fuel. we can cook a pretty damn good pizza at 600-6550
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :ohmy: one word: GASKET

they like to burn and the glue likes to bubble at high temps --> dome stuck to bottom of BGE :sick:

Found out, the hard way, with plate setter feet down and pizza stone on top supported by little green feet.
    :pinch: :blush:
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Desert Oasis Woman wrote:
    :ohmy: one word: GASKET

they like to burn and the glue likes to bubble at high temps --> dome stuck to bottom of BGE :sick:

Found out, the hard way, with plate setter feet down and pizza stone on top supported by little green feet.
    :pinch: :blush:

Yeah...for folks that like to cook at way hot temps, the Permatex UltraCopper might be the way to go.
    It's still only rated for 600-700* but I think it's still higher then the 3M 700 adhesive.
    I haven't had a problem yet with some pizza bakes over 700.
    (Knock on wood..)

PS, We definitely prefer the crisper, less doughy bread like crusts from higher temps.
  • JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Options
    I do thin crust around 700*. Top off, bottom solid slider all the way open with the slider screen closed gets me to ~700. I use the adj rig and spider to get as high in the dome as possible. I've tested from 400-700 in 50* increments and ~700 suits my taste best for a thin crust pie.

Pizza1-7-10004.jpg
  • Angela
    Options
    non issue, the egg I'm cooking on the gasket was burned off long ago probably from searing steaks.
  • Angela
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't think of trying top completely off, I've just been going all open top and bottom. Will try that next time.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    Pizza, Gotta love it, especially on the Egg! Bottom open about 75% or just a little over, top ( daisy wheel) off. Wide Open! Flashlight to look inside top to check on pizza progress. once the top closes, it's only open once about a minute and a half to two minutes into the cook. That is to rotate the pizza 180% for even cooking. Do it FAST and close the lid. Three minutes later the pizza is done! Pull it. Cooking temp at dome is about 650º to 700º Total cook time for a thin pizza is at most 6 minutes. Usually 4 or 5. Depends on dough water content and amount of toppings. I learned the hard way.... super thin crust light olive oil brushed on, light on the tomato sauce and light on the toppings. It's a balancing act between crust, sauce and toppings. Never more than three toppings on a pizza. When you do it right I don't care what the toppings are the pizza is the best you've ever eaten, because you made it and that's the truth!
    On my best pizzas, you can see the dough through all the sauce and toppings in several places. Very important. Don't over populate the real estate!

Immediately after cook, run to store and buy a new gasket if you're using the factory applied felt gasket. I cook pizza on my egg usually towards the end of the gaskets life, I hate the messy job of changing gaskets. If I had the money to afford it, I'd buy a proper brick or ceramic oven made for cooking pizza over a hearth and next to a wood fire. That's the truly original and romantic way to make pizza. I love my egg, but pizza is not practical on the egg to me. Sorry, I know I'm going to get thrashed for that statement, but if you're honest with yourself you'll know it is true!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Very ingenious setup with the p/s inside the AR, just be careful and don't let the p/s fall off when you lift the AR :P
    canuckland
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Options
    Super dave,
    Great post, and well said.
    However, I have to tell you that 2 days ago, my next door neighbor and good friend, Don, told me, "Rick, I wished I hadn't built a pizza oven, but had gotten a BGE".
    The reason he feels that way, is that it take's him several hours to get up to the 1000 degree heat he likes.
    It's just not handy enough for day to day cooking, hence he doesn't eat pizza nearly as much as I do.
    (Unless he comes over HERE to eat!! :laugh: )

The best of both worlds would to have each!