Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Jerky weather

Options
Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Saw sirloin on sale at Publix for 2.99 / lb, picked up 6 lbs for jerky. Nice cold temp helps keeping the egg temps down.

After 3 hours, temp has stabilized at 150. Not sure if I should try to get that down a bit.

Pics of my setup.

Small fire - half used lump, half peach chunks
IMG_5462.jpg

Medium PS for cold thermal mass.
IMG_5463.jpg

Then large stone on that
IMG_5464.jpg

Then XL PS legs up (put 3 bricks on that for the grid, not shown
IMG_5465.jpg

Two grids. Hi mountain sweet/spicy with crushed red pepper, second grid with Bourbon BBQ
IMG_5466.jpg

Good smoke - smells great
IMG_5468.jpg

Here they are at 3 hours, before I rotated 90 degrees
IMG_5469.jpg

Left the last batch on a bit long - will try these in another 3 hours or so.

Dinner will be salmon on the medium.

Richard

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looking good. Thanks for showing how your set up was. Very helpful!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bash
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is any benefit to all the ceramics in the egg, but it was cold, and I wanted the egg to stay as cold as possible. I'm trying to drop it to 140, but it is hanging on to 150.

If you haven't tried jerky, it is definitely worth it.
  • cookn biker
    Options
    That's what Kari and Ku said while they were here. I'm ordering the cure tomorrow.
    I'm paying attention to your cook because of our discusion on Jerky. So let me know your thoughts when you are done with this one. I thank you!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Bash
    Options
    Molly,

When I was looking for the cure, shipping was high at every place I could find, so I found it locally (Bass Pro Shop). Tax was a lot cheaper than shipping.

I posted the last time I did it, but changes this time are I cut it thicker, and I'm trying to hold the temps down a bit more, and I'll pull it before it darkens up too much. Also learned to keep the grid farther from the PS.

I'll post more later.

Do you know what temp to pull salmon at? Using the DP recipe.

Richard
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Whenever I do salmon I pull it off by watching the white juices (there is a name for that) and the flakyness of it. Also by touch. I usually dry cure whn I do my salmon though. Professionally it should be between 120- 137.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Bash
    Options
    Thanks - I think last time I pulled at 135. Think I'll pull at 125 this time. Gotta go get it!